Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back when I was walking my dog (she's medium size - an Australian Shepherd mix) we ran into a dog wandering around by itself. This dog attacked my dog and even though nothing too tragic happened (I have a small scar on my hand...) I am now terrified when I walk my dog. I know this bad energy only makes things worse and sometimes I can't even get myself to go for a walk.
I would very much like to be able to enjoy our walks again and I'm looking for any advice on reacting to dogs out and about by themselves. :ponder:Thank you!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I'm working on my using an umbrella with Kuma my rescue. I've heard that the sudden flow of opening an umbrella scares most dogs. I would start with counter conditioning to the umbrella first so that when it opens suddenly, you're dog won't get scared, but the other dog will.

Or you can always carry a branch and when a dog comes at you, you can swing the branch infront of it to startle it. (It worked for when I was trying to train my last dog Kryesor (RIP)

Reactions: Oachkatzl

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Buy a small cylinder of mace or pepper spray and lose the attitude of being scared because as you well know it only makes matters worse.

A shot of pepper spray or mace if necessity dictates is better than an expensive vet bill and/or more damage to your fragile sense of being regarding walking about with your dog. You are your dog's leader and should guide your dog with the confidence required.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I agree to carry a can of spray (pet corrector, direct stop, etc.) and/or a small air horn. This will deter most dogs. Have a friend come with you a few times so you get comfortable or go to a park or somewhere else you might feel safe.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
old old advice.... Walk softly and carry a big stick.
But, a can of pepper spray would be lighter...

There are several people who walk around my area (I live a mile out of town) and they will use a ski pole as a walking stick. The pole is light weight aluminum, has a strap so it can't be dropped and a pointy end if a not-so-friendly dog really gets serious about approaching them.

I think the best way to get over what happened, is to just go out and walk again. With each walk that goes 'right' I think that helps sink the memory of the one walk that didn't go right.

Stormy

·
Registered
572 Posts
Steel toed hikers and/or a metal walking cane.

I often have both. The extra confidence boost from it can also deter some dogs

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I would very much like to be able to enjoy our walks again and I'm looking for any advice on reacting to dogs out and about by themselves. :ponder:Thank you!
Carry with you what ever you need to feel safe. I have had the best luck with using a good strong loud yell if a dog charges my dog. A spray bottle with water will often work. What ever makes you the most comfortable.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I wouldn't recommend pepper spray or mace type products. It's all too easy to accidentally spray your own dog or yourself.

If you choose to use an air horn or an umbrella, condition your dog to it so you don't end up frightening your dog. Counter conditioning is not difficult.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I say carry a walking stick AND pepper spray. You never know what you will come across out on your walk. If you come across a really determined dog, or as in my case, a wolf, you will be so glad you had the spray. I am convinced it saved my dog's and/or my life.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I feel for you.

We dont have strays in my country but we sometimes have escape-artists running around. I live in a nice area with lots of 1 family houses and big yards with big dogs.

IF we meet a runnaway dog, there is a 80% chance it is going to be a. malamute or b. Tibetian Mastiff.

:eek:

On top of everything my dog is dog-reactive so even if the other dog is laid back, Ella will bark up a storm and attract unwanted ..results.

Im terrified of walking her around my home. I usually drive to downtown or out of the city to walk her. That is something you could try - find safe areas to walk your dog.

Yeah spray, stick etc will help probably but the thing is that the whole idea of that situation stresses me out so much that those things arent much of a comfort.

If my neighbours 2 TMs that sometimes roam around would come across us, Id probably just drop Ella`s leash and run home. I cant handle it mentally.

download.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like to carry a can with pennies in it. I've had to rattle it when stranger dogs approach, and it seems to work. I guess it would be like the umbrella effect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts