Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Aayla within the past week has developed a fear of walking around our couch. Her playpen is in our living room, so when she is let out she has to go around the couch making a 90* right turn followed quickly by a 90* left turn to go outside. Our living room set up has been like this for a month. Normally when let out she sprints outside to go potty. We have linoleum floors. So it was fine for a while until she had some big wipeouts trying to go around these turns at high speeds.

Now she is pretty fearful of being in this 'area' from the corner of the couch to the doogy door. She pretty much crawls, is shaking and tries to panic hurry, causing her to slip and slide even more. She will walk normal from the doggy door to the couch, but if its from the couch to the doggy door she is freaked out.

Then just today while at my work (with concrete floors) she slipped a little two times by the freezers and now any area near the freezers is a scary place for her.

I know this is a fear stage (she is almost 6 months) and that I can get rugs to put down for a while. I also got her paw pad's trimmed and her nails are very short. I dremel them weekly. So her slipping around should stop.

Yet I feel like she is a bit traumatized and unsure how to approach making her feel less stressed about these areas (that she HAS to go through) I did a bit of CC, but was unsure how much I would be pushing her by bringing her closer to the place that she is afraid of by giving treats. I managed to get her to pass by the freezers at work today, but it was a thing of high stress. I left her off leash and choose to come closer to me or back away, and fed her treats for looking or stepping closer.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Poor girlie!
Ditto Zoesmom!
Not sure if it's in the Kikopup vid on this as it's been a while since I've watched it, but something that helps lots when working on stuff like this (works best with clicker savvy dogs) is to click the bravery (looking at, moving towards, etc.) and then toss the reward actually away. Keeps the pressure off (feeding only closer and closer to the scary thing keeps pressure on) and dog gets a sort of double reward. The tossed treat and getting to leave the scary situation. Also sets up another rep quickly and easily so you can reward a ton of interactions and approaches in a super short amount of time. Results in really quick progress with clicker savvy dogs if the method is done correctly.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That video was perfect @ZoesMom She has so many videos sometimes I feel like doing binge watching.

I've put down a rug and she already is walking fine around the corner but it only covers so much. So soon as she is off of it she is crawling again. So I may need another. Then I'll start working both with the ways Kikopup said and @kmes suggested. She is taught a lot through clicker training so that should help out a lot.

I recorded how she acts before I laid down the rug. Poor thing is pretty freaked out. I accidentally got in her way (she hugs the couch) and she stood there with a wide stances just shaking.

Reactions: ZoesMom

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Awww...
Kinda looks like she is slipping because she is so worried about slipping!

Glad the rug helps! Awesome solution to make her comfier while you train. And def let us know how the training goes!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts