Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your favourite dog chews?
I think I like antlers the best -- my picky girl likes them, they last for months and months, and they're generally safe.
What about you all?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Antlers...these usually go down well, although the pups seem to randomly react differently each time we bring one home. For example last time Zoey went craaazy for the one we bought, then she didn't have one for about 4/5 months. We bought her a new one (and it looks awesome, it's like a huge raptor claw!) and she chewed it for 20 minutes then had no interest. We also have to watch Kasper like a hawk...we bought some antlers off ebay (not from a company, although seller had listed them as suitable for dog chewing) and Kasper snapped huge chunks off no problem. Zoey's never managed it though. We like that they're mess free and don't smell though.

Nylabones...Kasper had no interest in Nylas when we first adopted him, whereas Zoey *loved* them from the start. She will still spend a good few hours chewing them, especially if we rotate them or give her a new one. Kasper also enjoys chewing them now he is older, and will use them for half hour before bed. We've never had any issues with them, and they are clean and don't smell :)

We had to stop giving our dogs rawhides, pigs ears and raw bones because they would snap off huge chunks and would swallow them whole. Kasper was sick three or four times because he swallowed huge chunks of bone. I emailed Natures Menu recently to ask if any of their bones would be okay for my dogs, and their vet got back in touch saying they do have bone-free raw chewing products, so I think we're going to try them.

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
@FailedSlacker where do you get your buffalo horn, if you don't mind me asking? The ones in stores here are often too thin for my crew so I'm leery to buy online! I know they would love them though so keep looking each time I'm at a store!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
@FailedSlacker where do you get your buffalo horn, if you don't mind me asking? The ones in stores here are often too thin for my crew so I'm leery to buy online! I know they would love them though so keep looking each time I'm at a store!
My local pet store has a decently sized box of them, and i just root around until I find decent ones. If you'd like, next time I find an extra thick one, I can get it for you.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Water buffalo horns are a favourite here, along with cow hooves. well, the cow hooves are a favourite for the dogs, not so much my nose.
Ditto on the water buffalo horns. Our baby, Roscoe, and my son's boy, Otis, LOVE them!! Otis is a doberman and Roscoe is a terrier mix, and the horns stand up to both of those mouths.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Last spring, HaHa dug up a tree root...I had chopped the sapling down and left a tiny stump behind...he started chewing on that stump with was about as big around as a 1/2 dollar. He ended up digging and pulling on it until he got the root up out of the ground. It's one of his 'go to' outside toys...he loved to settle down and just gnaw on it from time to time. I found it in the house this morning...not sure how he snuck it past me when I let him in....lol. It's still a good sized root with about 4 or 5 root-branches on it. All of which have been gnawed on .

I give my dogs pig ears like 2 a summer....so they like those to chew on.

Stormy

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Bully sticks are by far the favorite in this house. Stella also likes antlers and Tyrion likes Nylabones, both the edible and rubber ones.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I normally stick with antlers, they're tough and safe. Only Echo chews very much though. They also like pig ears, lamb ears, and bully sticks. And cow hooves, but god they smell like death!

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
Bully sticks, and cow's hooves are Zody's favorites. He liked antlers for around a week or two but after that he ignored them so now I don't bother with them, I just can't justify paying that much for an antler only to have him ignore it after a couple days.

He also likes pigs ears, and chicken feet but they do not like him.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Bully sticks, frozen songs, and himalaya chews are faves here. We tried doing raw elk bones but poor Tessa kept getting the runs :(

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Sawyer's a pretty big/heavy chewer, so its hard to find things that will last. Right now marrow bones seem to work best. He also really likes his nylabone "big chew", and the petstages dogwood chew sticks.
I gave him a bully stick before but that was gone in less then a day, and I just got him a antler but he's already made pretty good progress on the ends and I think he's breaking tiny pieces off while chewing, so I don't think ill get him another one.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Cow hooves and raw meaty marrow bones here. I have bought antlers before and nobody was at all interested in them!

We buy cow hooves in bulk from the Dr's foster and smith website - I have not noticed them smelling!

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
I used to get the canine caviar buffalo metatarsal bones, and that was the favorite for a long time, but for some reason I can't get it at our local store anymore :(

You can order them from here Canine Caviar Buffalo Metatarsal Bones Dog Treat I use that online company just about every 2 months and have never had a problem, I get my dog's food from them and throw in other stuff to get the free shipping.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Best price for bully sticks?

The last time I bought bully sticks was a couple of years ago when bestbullysticks.com was on ebay and 5 6" sticks were something like $8 with free shipping. Free shipping being important because I don't buy a lot at a time.

Now I find that bestbullysticks is no longer on ebay and while their prices are still good on the website, shipping kills it for me. The other resellers on ebay and local stores charge over $3 per stick which is more than I'll pay.

I ordered the American Journey brand sticks that Chewy distributes, which are cheap but they are so thin they are gone in a flash. The next cheapest thicker sticks are $2.50 but at least shipping is free when I order other stuff.

Anyone got a good cheap source to share? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
The last time I bought bully sticks was a couple of years ago when bestbullysticks.com was on ebay and 5 6" sticks were something like $8 with free shipping. Free shipping being important because I don't buy a lot at a time.

Now I find that bestbullysticks is no longer on ebay and while their prices are still good on the website, shipping kills it for me. The other resellers on ebay and local stores charge over $3 per stick which is more than I'll pay.

I ordered the American Journey brand sticks that Chewy distributes, which are cheap but they are so thin they are gone in a flash. The next cheapest thicker sticks are $2.50 but at least shipping is free when I order other stuff.

Anyone got a good cheap source to share? Thanks.

I get mine from Walgreens Pet Shoppe All Natural 6 Inch Bully Sticks | Walgreens It's been awhile since I got them but if I remember right they run around 6 or $7. They do vary in thickness but if they have them in the store you can grab the packs the contain the size you want.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.