Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So thought this would be fun and see the most popular breed out there, a few questions:
1. What energy level do you look for?
2. What intelligence level?
3. Family dog or Protector?
4. What Physical features do you like?
5. What is your favorite breed?
6. Why?
7. What is your least favorite breed?
8. Why?

My answers:
1. medium to high, I don't like lazy dogs, they are usually unenthusiastic and difficult to train in the active sports I like to do with my dogs.
2. I like high intelligence dogs as I feel like i can have a conversation with them and give them a little pep talk when they aren't doing what I ask them to, though sometimes less smart dogs seem to show more care for your feelings rather than thinking about themselves.
3. Middle, I don't want a dog I'm trying to hold back from strangers but I also want to know if someone came into my house they wouldn't want to come back.
4. I like a smooth coat with interesting colors and pointy ears, not a fan of docking the tails though it's not to important.
5. My favorite breed is the Australian Cattle Dog.
6. I love how smart and active they are. They have a lot of character and can be protective when you need them to be, especially with my ACD Wolfie he is a ball of crazy but he is super fun to train and just a great dog.
7. Chihuahua. (and most small dogs)
8. Most of the time small dogs have a big attitude and get away with anything due to there small size, I am more of a big dog person in general. I am a little biased against them since i have had a lot of issues with chihuahuas going after my Wolfie and biting him, with him being the sweetest and never wanting to fight other dogs. Also In would hate to have to write Chihuahua all the time such an annoying spelling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Let's see...

1. medium. I don't mind medium-high or medium-low, but I don't really like lazy dogs or too active dogs
2. the higher the better.
Smarter dogs are harder to control, they like to think for themself and will not listen if they don't think you are smarter... and I love this. It's hard, time consuming, but in the end, when you get their respect? You have the greates dog in the world, and when he looks at you with love and respect in his eyes, you know you earned it.
3. I don't understand this question. There is no "or" there: best protector can be also the best family dogs.
And yes, I love protectors... so I'd see protector AND family dog
4. big dogs, long coats, absolutely no docking of any type
5. it's not easy, but I'd say the outcharka.
6. It's big, it's smart, it's a fierce protector and the best family dog one could ask for, affectionate and loving with its humans, really trustworthy with other animals (like cats) and children, actually really protective of them. What's not to like?
7. chinese crested dog (and other naked dogs)
8. I love a soft coat too much. Their cute, but yeah, no fur so...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hmm...

1. What energy level do you look for? High enough energy as I like to take them for runs and do agility. I couldn't handle a lazy dog, id find it boring.
2. What intelligence level? Inteliigent enough to learn tricks but not too intelligent that it is smarter than myself lmao
3. Family dog or Protector? Family dog all the way!
4. What Physical features do you like? I prefer short hair, tall dogs, muscyular but not overly so.
5. What is your favorite breed? theres too many, great danes are my absolute favourite but I love german shepherds and dobies too...and Rhodesians.
6. Why? I don't know, I cant pinpoint any exact reasons,. I love danes because they are big lap dogs, and so big and cuddly
7. What is your least favorite breed? I love all dogs but I least like small wirey hair dogs. And I hate dogs that are too yappy but I blame the owners for that haha.
8. Why? I prefer dogs with softer coats and overall I just like big dogs over the littler ones

Reactions: WolfDogHeeler

·
Registered
502 Posts
I like medium. Plenty of energy to keep up with me hiking and trail riding and at the barn, but not so much that they can't settle or go a day without a walk.

Smart. Dumb dogs annoy me quite a bit.

In between. I like them good with everyone but willing to alert and defend if needed.

I like floppy ears, not huge but good sized. I also like fairly lean and athletic,, and a nice tuck.

That's hard to say, I have all mutts. I'm more about the dog than the breed. But rottie's and Rhodesian Ridgebacks are 2 I really like.

6. Why?
Gorgeous and athletic and smart.

I have a lot of them but overall probably Chi's.

8. Why?
They're so not cute, either mean or so timid they just sit there and shake. They're so fragile and just not my cup of tea. I'm met a few nice ones, but never one I truly liked.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
So thought this would be fun and see the most popular breed out there, a few questions:
low to medium energy, i suppose. a dog that can live with 2-3 hours of activity every day and doesn't need to be constantly entertained.
I don't tihnk it's that easiy to tell because persons that are bred for different "jobs" show their intelligent in different ways.
who says a Husky is less intelligent than a border collie or a Rotweiler is less intelligent than a chihuahua.
I don't tihnk I care too much, but do care for a minimum in trainability.
I thin a good protection dog should be a family dogand have a good relationship with their family.
I prefer a slightly intimidating alert dog over a serious protection dog though.
I likely slightly brachycephalic breeds, shorthaired and wirehaired dogs of medium to large size.
just the looks I also like some shorthaired herders and hounds as well as some spitz breeds.
German Boxer. I prefer heavier build ones though.
I also like Rottweiler, Dogo Canario, Beauceron, stockhaired German Shepherds (especially black), poodles and the large sized Peruvian Hairless Dog.

6. Why?

because Boxers are awesome. :D
They are the right size, they're robust, they're handler-orientated and like to work, but are not overly attention-seeking, they have easily controllable protection instict, have controllable preydrive, they can be great family dogs and they generally are fun to be with.
I really have one I hate... there juszt some that I wouldn't own because I'm not the right person for them...I don't like the way some individual small dogs look...toy dogs are not my cup of tea.
i don't like it when the eyes look like they'd pop out of the skull at every moment like with some chihuahuas...it makes me feel sad.
or some French Bulldogs and pugs have very short noses, which looks uncomfortable as hell.
8. Why?

Because it looks painful and I don't like seeing an animal in pain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love a dog with medium-high energy. It motivates me to get out and walk/jog every day, and a dog who will keep up with the horses on a trail ride is a must.
Doesn't matter. Bright dogs have great personalities, but so do dopey dogs.
I like a dog who alerts me when someone is near the house. Doesn't have to be an attack dog. That being said, a family dog is a must. I'd pick a good ol' family dog over a guard dog any day.
As long as their physical features aren't going to cause any health problems (i.e. a squash-nosed pug may have breathing problems) then it doesn't matter, i love them all. Floppy ears, pointed ears, short tails, long tails...they are all cute and unique to me.
I think I have to say Australian Shepherd because of the fact that I have one lol. But seriously, Aussies are definitely in my top 3, along with German Shepherds, Border Collies, Rotties, Cattle dogs...oh, was that more than 3? :p
6. Why?
Though it ultimately comes down to the individual, I do prefer dog breeds that work well around horses. They need to be smart enough to stay away from the horses' feet, and have enough energy to keep up on a trail ride. My Aussie absolutely loves to lead the way down the trail, then dive into the pond upon coming back to the barn. He's also smart enough to respect the horses' space, so he's my ideal dog breed fo sho.
Little dogs in general
8. Why?
It's not that I don't like them, I just would much rather prefer a big dog. Most little dogs I've met are too yappy for my liking.

·
Registered
547 Posts
6. Why?
8. Why?
1 - On a scale from 1-5, 5 being most active possible... I'd say 3 or 4 with a lazy streak.
2 - same scale, 4 or 5
3 - a little of both
4 - balanced appearance, medium length hair, the more color the better! or solid black.
5 - hmmm... black German Shepherd, black lab, brindled boxer, dilute tricolor blue MERLE Aussies, GORGEOUS mixes of theses dogs with rare and unique markings
6 - hmmm... The breeds I like are highly intelligent, energetic, vigilant, and just plain gorgeous.
7 - Chihuahua, wiener dog, corgi, extremely flat faced dogs
8 - They look so disproportioned and have too many health problems, they aren't built for active children!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Low to medium. I have a lot of health problems and some days I have a hard time getting up, so a high energy dog is too much for me. A dog that is happy to chill out or go for a walk in the woods but isn't demanding is perfect for me.
It doesn't matter to me. Plus what is 'intelligence'? Different dogs have different types of intelligence.
In between. I do like dogs that are a bit more aloof, but still friendly.
Big! I love big dogs. I also seem drawn to dogs with big chest and tiny waist (sounds like some guys, huh?). Both Freyja and Vegas are built this way. I love erect ears and fluffy coats, like in many northern breeds. But short coats are nice too, and floppy ears.
Great Dane
6. Why?
They have a nice build, sleek and graceful. The personality is great, friendly and outgoing but still aloof. They are sturdy dogs and Freyja helps me get up or catch my balance without any trouble. They are fairly laid back and medium energy. Very handler focused and learns quickly. They are also alert and make good watch dogs.
I really try to not dislike any dog. But if I had to pick one it would be Shih tzu.
8. Why?
Every one I've met has been aggressive and tried to bit either people or other dogs. They are also very yappy. I'm also not a small dog person in general.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Energy level?

Low to medium energy, I love taking Bandit on short hikes with me but I have a history of needing medical bed-rest, so I need a pup that can be okay with exercising whenever I can find someone else to take them.

Intelligence level?

I really don't have much of a preference here. Although I'm not sure I have the patience for an extremely intelligent dog.

Family dog Vs. Protector?

I find this question interesting. I like the fact that Bandit will bark and alert me if anyone comes near the house. However, I feel more comfortable with small to medium dogs, and unless I have a large,strong dog I wouldn't want them to pursue an intruder in case they get injured. So basically I want an alarm dog who will let me know of anything fishy but won't put himself in harms way.

Physical features

Like I mentioned, I really like small to medium sized dogs. Bandit is around 27 lbs and is the perfect sized dog for me. I will always rescue so although I do not like the look (or agree with the practice) I wouldn't turn away a dog that was cropped or docked. And until I get a better paying job I will not own a job that needs regular grooms. Because I've seen what happens when you miss them. And I won't do that to my dog if I lose my job or for whatever reason I can't afford a groom.

Favorite breed? And why?

My initial reaction is to immediately go "mutt!" but I'm obviously biased. A lot of the breeds that come to mind as my favorites aren't actually dogs that would fit into my lifestyle or that I would ever own. Some of my favorite dogs to work with are Great Danes and Boxers, but I know that their relative size and energy levels would just not fit for me. If I did get a pure breed dog. I would have to say it would be a pug. I've always grown up with one and health issues aside I've never met a pug with a personality that I didn't like. Although it looks like that next dog I will be getting will be some sort of golden retriever mix when me and the BF move out because it will be his dog and he needs an eager-to-please, energetic, good first-time owner dog that will exercise with him all the time.

Least favorite breed? And why?

I have found many dogs that I love,like,dislike and hate of many different breeds at my job. I can't really say there are any specific breeds that I just don't like. But there are plenty of breeds that because of experiences I've had at work I will never own. Please keep in mind that for every dog I mention here as an example of a breed I won't own, I'm sure I've met others that are lovely, so please don't take offence if I mention your pups breed!

I will never own a GSD. I have a bleeding disorder and a dog bite would most likely be fatal and while I've met many good GSDs at work I have noticed a trend in the misbehaved ones of refusing to back down. I can't tell you how many times I've had to have one or more extra people to help me trim a GSDs nails while they were desperately trying to take my hand off. If I wasn't in my controlled work environment I don't like to think what may have happened.

I would also never own a Great Dane. This has absolutely nothing to do with behavior. My favorite customer is a Great Dane and he makes me smile every time I see him. But they are strong. And because I will always adopt I will always want an adult dog and even my favorite Great Dane I see literally drags me around the salon if he realizes I'm bringing him somewhere he doesn't want to go.

I'm sure I've missed or forgot some stuff. But this post is more then long enough! Thanks for reading! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
What energy level do you look for?
I prefer my dogs to be on the higher end, but with a good off-switch. If I have to do some work, or leave the house for a bit, I need them to not lose their minds.
What intelligence level?
I like dogs that are biddable. I want to work with them, and they want to work for me. Training my BC and Aussie is a dream. Training with my sister Dachshunds is a little like pulling teeth.
Family dog or Protector?
Family dog. I'll do the protecting in our day to day relationships. I'd much rather my dogs love everyone and have someone steal my TV than think they need to defend their turf at all costs.
What Physical features do you like?
I like my dogs to have a little bit of coat (much nicer for snuggling and cold weather), I love prick ears, and medium size. Anything between 30-60 pounds in my preferred size.
What is your favorite breed?
Border Collies.
Why?
Brains, speed, agility, and smashing good looks, all in one package.
What is your least favorite breed?
Any of the Brachycephalic breeds (Boxers, Pug, Bulldog etc.)
Why?
Aside from the glaring health issues, I don't really enjoy snoring, and I honestly just don't find them very cute.

·
Registered
86 Posts
medium - high
2. What intelligence level

mensa level![/COLOR]

i find this odd, a good protection dog can also be a family dog.

of pedigree to breed standard.

i have several favourites for as many reasons. GSD for loyalty, Border Collie for intelligence and reasoning ability, Border Terrier for temperament and feistiness.
6. Why?

Reasons above,
Not really a breed I do not like, there are breeds I will not have, big heavy dogs because their life span is short, small yappy dogs though that is usually down to owners.
8. Why?..
I will add that when I am looking for a dog I want to go for working lines as opposed to show animals that usually cannot do the job they were bred for.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I like high energy- Delilah never tires and it's great for hiking and agility!
Very intelligent. Dumb dogs are endearing, but I love watching Delilah think!
Family dog
Single coat preferred. Good structure. No preference over coat color, length, ear type, size, or anything else like that.
SO MANY. I'll do top four.
1) Spaniels (particularly field line springers)
2) Terriers (Toy Fox, Rat, Norfolk/Norwich, Russels)
3) Aussie Shepherds
4) German Shorthaired Pointers
6. Why?
They're all just really fun dogs. Higher energy, higher intelligence, aesthetically pleasing. Terriers are kind of jerks but I'm learning to appreciate their sass. They've got a lot of... personality.
Huskies and Pembroke Welsh Corgiss
8. Why?
Most of the huskies I've met are just "weird" with other dogs. I don't know how to explain it- some people might call it dominant but it's not quite that. There are even huskies at work that are perfectly friendly with other dogs but they give off such a strange vibe that a lot of other dogs will go after them for no good reason. I don't know how to explain but I can tell if a husky's going to be trouble or not based on it's posture and temperament when I meet it. They're almost more like cats than dogs. Also VERY vocal, independent, and high prey drives (there are a few at work that can't even be with small dogs- I've seen them stare them down from inside a crate or from the other side of a fence).

Corgis- they're kind of jerks. At both kennels I've worked at, whenever a corgi does something ****ty, the staff just give each other a knowing look and mutter "corgis..."
Worst thing I've ever seen a corgi do- it was resource guarding vomit and attacked another dog. Over vomit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
High. I like a dog that can gogogo.

Highly intelligent, understands sentences, easy to train.

Family but not overly friendly and inviting to strangers. I don't believe dogs should be used as protection..they're not guns or knives. We should be protecting them and doing whatever it takes to keep them safe.

Tri-Colors or multi-colored but nothing specific.

Herding breeds in general.

6. Why?
I'm not sure. High energy, easy to train, intelligent..twisting and turning fun.

7. What is your least favorite breed? and
8. Why?.

I don't know. Maybe Pugs, Bulldogs and anything with wrinkled, short, fat faces because I just don't find them cute. I can't stand looking at walking mops on dog shows..I'd shave them. Full size Poodles look like cartoons to me but I have no idea how they act. And, anything in the terrier group although some of them are super cute, high energy and fun... I don't want to deal with the prey drive that anything in the terrier group have. I can handle hounds and herding drives when I don't have a farm but prey drive...ugh.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Worst thing I've ever seen a corgi do- it was resource guarding vomit and attacked another dog. Over vomit.
lmfao. I've broken up dog fights over this with various breeds and I've never had a corgi. One of the perks of raw feeding..regurgitating or a dog being sick for other reasons like meds and not keeping food down.

Vomit usually contains food pieces they want to re-eat..but yeah. Dogs are gross.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Doesn't matter to me. If I have to walk my dog for 3+ hours a day, I will. If I have to walk it for only 30 mins, that's good too.

Must be extremely smart. I never stop training my dogs. I'm always teaching them something new.

Neither. I don't want my dog to love everyone but don't want it to feel that it has to protect me from everyone either.

Feathered fur, cropped ears, docked tails, thin build

Shelties

6. Why?

Because they have an amazing on/off switch, do amazing in sports, are adorable, and more.

Basset Hounds and GSDs

8. Why?

Basset Hound: Oh god, um they're way too short for me, they're too long, can barely (sometimes can't even) swim, etc.

GSD: the sloped backs *cringe*

·
Registered
3 Posts
High, bouncing off the walls. I love training and doing sports, and having a crazy dog so the more excited the dog is, the more fun they are IMO :)

High. More about their enthusiasm to learn than how long it takes though.

Protector, but not extremely protective, but a dog which is not too friendly with everything.

Hmm, athletic with long legs, like working Kelpies or brittanys for example. Nothing really short coated like Vizslas, or anything too long coated like a show line bearded collie (but working lines are fine!), or sighthounds as they are a little too athleticly built for me.

Mudi, by far. I also like PyrSheps, working line Belgian Shepherds, working Australian shepherds, etc.

6. Why?
Because they are really eager and enthusiastic and have everything I like in a breed, as well as intelligent.
Mudi are a breed I have fallen for :) I love their temperaments.

I really hate Bulldogs, pugs, pekingese, show line basset hounds (working lines are ok) and any breed that is exaggerated in an unhealthy way.

I also dislike show lines in general, especially those such as the German Shepherd, Chow Chow, etc.

8. Why?
Because Brachysephalic breeds have such potential risks simply because people see them as "cute".
Why breed a dog to have such problems just because you like how they look?
It seems a little cruel. Sure, not every frenchie or pug tries to sleep standing up because otherwise their airways will be blocked if they lay down, and every pug wont need surgery in order to breathe, but the fact that they exist in the first place because we simply like their appearance with that kind of nose is disgusting.
If you like the snorting, farting, growl-like breathing, bulging eyes, etc, than you are liking traits which are found in unhealthy animals.

If you had a baby like that, you would send it straight to the doctor.

And same goes with any breed. Choose a golden retriever from a line with fewer incidences of cancer, or be selective with your CKCS breeder regarding heart murmurs and Syringomyelia, or just try to give the dog the best life it can get by being critical with breeders and yourself.

With show lines, I don't mind them too much actually, I just wish that the dogs of the past didn't disappear because of them. Before recognition and breeding for shows, these breeds often looked much different. Many still have the same appearance as they did in the past, but many change in terms of temperament, drive and/or instinct, and I just don't want the original breed to disappear.

They are struggling to find the Old Scotch Collies anymore that the Rough Collie derived from, and there are none in the UK, the scotch collie's country of origin. Its just sad how the original fanciers of the breed at the time were upset with the recognition because they were afraid the breed they knew and loved would change due to show ring fancies, and it turned out to be a real worry that did take place, and now that original breed has gone for good.

Show line collies are great dogs, but they are not the same dog as the one from the past, which has become extinct in the UK.
Working Bearded collies are also an example of a working line that is really uncommon.
So many other breeds have this happen too, and a loss in the correct temperament, energy, drive, etc. are one of the first things to go since the dogs are bred for appearance, not the ability to work

Went on a little bit of a rant, sorry.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Varies
I tend to think any dog I own is a genius
Family dog
I love huge dogs, especially solid color like great pyrs.
Great Pyr.
6. Why?
They're huge and beautiful and every one I've met has been super laid back yet hard working family dogs.
Probably huskies.
8. Why?
Love the six and the coat and they'd probably fit in my lifestyle pretty well but I don't like the stubbornness and how they require a really good trainer and socialization and most people get them because they look cool. Because of that a lot of huskies are very reactive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Question Answer time!

Medium to high energy. I like keeping active with with my pup. Or them keeping me active, rather!
High intelligence. For all all those tricks to wear off all that energy haha.
It's always been a mix for mine. They need to be well behaved with the children (in the family or at the park) but also mean business if someone thinks they're going to pull a fast one on me or a loved one.
Fluffy tails, big paws, one pointed and one floppy ear haha. Medium to long-ish fur, I find short fur too coarse.
I've always had shepherd and shepherd mixes, so I'd say that!
6. Why?
They're a great mix of all my favourite things about dogs noted above.
Anything small and yappy. Toys especially.
8. Why?
As OP said, they get away with far too much. And I feel like I'm going to crush them as they bounce around my feet, biting at my ankles :/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very high, I want a dog for agility!
Extremely intelligent!
Family dog!
I like them to look rough and tough, you know? Unorganized, shaggy, but still beautiful.
Border Collie
6. Why?
I have a profound respect for the Border Collie. They are absolutely amazing to look at and be around! They know what needs to be done and they make it their goal in life to go do it!
I don't have a least favorite!
8. Why?
I believe all dogs are unique and special in their own way.

Okay so I kinda lied up there; the Maltese is tied with the Border Collie. I have had Maltese all my life, I have just always wanted a Border Collie. I don't like one more than the other, I respect their differences and love them for who they are. The only reason I only filled out a thing for the Border Collie is because I usually give all my attention to Maltese on this forum since I have one! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.