Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a toy that I can put treats or kibble in for a puppy and am seeing so many mixed reviews on line. I want something that the food comes out little by little, not all at once and will offer some mental stimulation for more than a few minutes. Recommendations?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm looking for a toy that I can put treats or kibble in for a puppy and am seeing so many mixed reviews on line. I want something that the food comes out little by little, not all at once and will offer some mental stimulation for more than a few minutes. Recommendations?
I know there a fancy toys like that online, however, I used to just cut a line in a tennis ball and filled it with treats. First I showed to Libby how it opens and then she learned it herself. I know the Idc balls by Julius k9, can be filled with treats, and well as those red kongs.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Trucker loves his
JW Pet Evertuff Treat Pod that he got for Christmas. It is pretty hard for my to get the treats into but it is also mentally stimulating and tricky for him to get them out of also.

He likes it so much that I am thinking about getting the rest of the JW Treat Pod collection so we can change out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
When we fed kibble, I exclusively used puzzle toys and treat balls to feed Lena - otherwise her food would be gone in under 10 seconds! :eek:

Our favorite is Omega Paw Tricky Treat Ball, GREAT for pretty much any size kibble (Fromm is much easier to get out of it than a standard size kibble, though). The only thing I don't like is that it's not easily washable, but since we only used it for dry food, it wasn't a huge deal. The Large size holds about 1.5 Cups of kibble. (The emptier it is, the harder they have to work for it! :D

We also used something similar to a Kong Wobbler, but it was an off brand thing that we got at Target, I think? I liked that we could take the top off and give it a good scrub every now and again.

Tug-a-Jug is another good option, when the rope gets destroyed or too nasty, just put a small ball inside the jug with the kibble, and that will work just as well!

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
880 Posts
@Mesonoxian How hard is the Omega Paw Tricky? Would it stand up to a larger dog? I tried a puzzle feeder and Trucker got annoyed and chewed it till he got the Kibble out. If he doesn't get feedback from the toy (a piece of kibble pretty consistently) he will give up. I like the looks of this one I just want to see what your thoughts are before ordering.

He has the Busy Buddy Magic Mushroom and likes that but he tends to get bored if given the same thing repeatedly so I would like to have some diversity.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00520EJXW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p199_d0_i10?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1EJV6RZ9H9E8P9E1PC36&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

·
Registered
104 Posts
@Mesonoxian How hard is the Omega Paw Tricky? Would it stand up to a larger dog? I tried a puzzle feeder and Trucker got annoyed and chewed it till he got the Kibble out. If he doesn't get feedback from the toy (a piece of kibble pretty consistently) he will give up. I like the looks of this one I just want to see what your thoughts are before ordering.
@TruckersMom

Getting kibble/treats out isn't too hard, and it does give pretty consistent food rewards, it just gets to be less as the ball empties out. Lena usually ate around 3/4 C. of kibble per meal, and it would take her a good 6-8 minutes to completely clear it out. (She's super food motivated, and won't give up if she can still smell a single kibble.)

We also let my sister's Siberian Husky(~45-50lbs) borrow it occasionally. The Sibe is much larger, and has a greater potential for destructiveness than Lena. She also isn't as food motivated as Lena (sounds like Trucker, a bit. - The sibe will give up if she's not getting anything out of it). The sibe actually really enjoys this puzzle toy, but she won't always completely clear it out - there's often 5-10 pieces of kibble left in the ball. (which Lena happily goes and takes care of!) :p

If Trucker just goes to town and starts chewing on it right away, it probably won't last, it's made of a rubbery-ish material, but nothing so durable as a Kong. That being said, it's not wimpy, either.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Kong stuffed with peanut butter and/or kibble, bar none (for us anyway).

·
Registered
880 Posts
@Mesonoxian I will have to order one and try it out.

Reactions: Mesonoxian

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
My favorite is the buster cube for on carpet eating, hands down. Winner every time.

On hardwood, I prefer the IQ ball or busy ball. The mushroom and pyramid/kong wobbler are good too.

I didn't love the twist and treat-it's alright, but I found it a pain to refill. Likewise, the pyramid toy is a pain to refill-but the weighted difficulty is worth it for a change.

Frozen kongs are great, too, but it depends on how you layer them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My all-time favorite has got to be the Magic Mushroom because it's adjustable and really fast to fill, but I kind of have a thing for food toys so we have a ton. The TreatStik is another that's super fast to fill with a ton of food, and it's also really easy to clean. I like to slow things down a bit by sticking chunks of carrot in with the kibble.

Starmark has a ton of different options, the Bob-a-lot is really big and heavy and hard to lose, also adjustable.

The Busy Buddy Squirrel Dude is a lot quieter than the hard plastic toys, and the big one holds a lot of food. The Kong Genius toys are similarly quiet, and you can link them together if you have more than one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
zippy opens the magic mushroom in 10 seconds , just pops the lid off
just got the bob a lot , it is hard to fill but my dog has not opened the lid yet but has scratched the lid real good the first time he used it

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have a few different toys. I think one of the best for my guys in the buster cube(or some off brand). They take the longest to get the treats out of it but it does pop out enough treats to keep them interested. Freyja loves the JW Rockin Treat Ball. I also have the kong wobbler and Busy Buddy Puppy Twist n Treat. The jug a tug is good, but Freyja loves to run around with it and swing it around, so it's an outside toy only. The newest toy is the JW treat tower, it works but I find they empty it out too fast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts