Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I was just wondering what treats you like to use in training? I am always looking for new ideas to mix things up a little. Ursa is very picky, and the only treats she'll go for is cooked chicken, dehydrated beef liver and hearts. She takes plain treats as well, but god forbid if I tried to get her to do something new with kibble:D
So what do you guys feed in training? Do you have any treats you use that are meat and dairy free?

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I use a pretty big variety of food rewards but atm a lot of fresh pet (both the dog and cat chicken meatballs) and the little fresh pet dog joy treats (look like little sausages)...
Lately I've needed lots of high value stuff I can just grab and use.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I use a pretty big variety of food rewards but atm a lot of fresh pet (both the dog and cat chicken meatballs) and the little fresh pet dog joy treats (look like little sausages)...
Lately I've needed lots of high value stuff I can just grab and use.
I feed Cos fresh pet slice and serve for his meals and it's a wonderful brand with good ingredients, as well as fairly inexpensive :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheerios usually, because Cosmo gets too excited about anything else and won't focus.
Ursa would think I was crazy if I offered her cheerios. :D It's hard having a dog that is not food motivated. Kheops on the other hand goes nuts for just about anything. :eyeroll:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
For every day around the house training I use his ordinary kibble. He'll eagerly work for it... somehow getting rewarded with kibble in a training setting is infinitely more exciting than getting it out of a bowl.

For obedience/agility classes I like to use chopped up pieces of food rolls. I cut a piece up into tiny pieces (my dog will work for super teeny pieces) and feed what's left over for dinner.

For random short training sessions out and about or if I forget to do the food rolls I use Zukes training treats, and I cut those up even smaller. I keep some in my car just in case I need them, and keep them right by my dog's kennel to reward him going inside.

I use string cheese for conformation training/in the show ring, and only for that. He absolutely loves string cheese and will do anything for it, and I want showing to be a really fun thing for him. So I want something high value, and also completely different from what we normally use so he KNOWS what is expected of him. "Normal" treats and no show lead = sit and focus on my face when we stop. String cheese and show lead = stand and stack when we stop. No sitting allowed! It makes it much easier to progress in our obedience training without ruining things for the conformation ring.

I've never had to escalate to using it, but I save real meat such as chicken breast and hot dogs in the event I really need it. In case he develops a big fear of a certain thing or situation, a beyond crazy busy environment, something like that. Something that will hopefully keep his attention on me, and be super rewarding if the scary thing is around. I hope to never be in such situations and need it, but I like having "reserve treats" just in case.

So, I sort of have a "hierarchy" of treats- normal kibble for household training, Zukes for out and about, food rolls for classes, cheese for conformation, and hot dogs for big deal type of situations.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
At the moment I really like Benny Bully's Liver Chops. I buy the biggest bag which is pretty economical for what it is (pure beef liver) and the treats break super easily.

Merrick's Texas Hold'Ems (dried lamb lung) runs a close second for me but I hear the company was sold to Iams :(.

Charlee Bears are low-calorie and not messy in any way/shape/form. Great for the pocket.

For meatless, dairyless I use Dr. Harvey's Coconut Smiles, but they are hit or miss with dogs. Either they love em or they hate em.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I always look for soft treats for training especially. I cut up hot dog into little peaces and Libby loves is. It is very easy to swallow and I think it is safe. Especially for things like agility or quick tricks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts