Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this would be a fun post!

Who are your favorite dog trainers and why?

I love Sophia Yin. I really think her books are helpful to get through the puppy stages.

Since Aspen and I are currently working on some tricks, I'm loving Sara Carson and Kyra Sundance. I love Kyra's message- 'do more with your dog'! (Yes, Kyra and I are on a first name basis- she 'liked' my post on facebook... I expect her to ask me to coffee any day now) ;)

Sara Carson and her dog, Hero are amazing! I'm loving watching her work with her new dog, Marvel. She recently posted an answer to a fan's question about difficult dogs. She said that Marvel is actually highly reactive so she's managing that as well as preparing her to show with Hero.

SO, who are some of your favorites?? :)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Love love love Susan Garrett. I know she's one of those trainers people either seem to love or hate, but I think she's awesome. The love she has for her dogs is so evident in everything she does, and I really like how much she stresses positive reinforcement and saying "yes!" to your dogs. Also a big fan of how she uses minimal luring, she's a big fan of shaping instead.

I am also a big fan of Denise Fenzi. Her online school is super cool, and I love how she trains IPO/Schutzhund and obedience using purely positive methods.

And of course, Karen Pryor for obvious reasons. :)

Reactions: jclark343

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@Shandula - good ones!

I don't know much about Susan Garrett but I think I'll check her out. :)
I really like Sophia Yin too - she's totally the reason Heidi knows to sit for everything. :p

The thing about SG is that she is pricey. I'm currently in H360 and Agility Nation and the price is seriously hefty. She's also amazing at up-selling you things (she worked as a pharmaceutical rep selling things to vet clinics) which people can find as kind of a turn off.

I also can't believe I forgot Emily Larlham! I'm not super into freestyle with my dogs, but I love all the moves she teaches.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like Sophia Yin too - she's totally the reason Heidi knows to sit for everything. :p

The thing about SG is that she is pricey. I'm currently in H360 and Agility Nation and the price is seriously hefty. She's also amazing at up-selling you things (she worked as a pharmaceutical rep selling things to vet clinics) which people can find as kind of a turn off.

I also can't believe I forgot Emily Larlham! I'm not super into freestyle with my dogs, but I love all the moves she teaches.
Hmm, yeah the upselling probably would turn me off, honestly. I've never heard of Emily Larlham, I'll look into her.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Hmm, yeah the upselling probably would turn me off, honestly. I've never heard of Emily Larlham, I'll look into her.
Emily Larlham is Kikopup! :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Claire Staines and John McGuigan, both trainers very local to me. Claire is leading the way with the shock collar ban and is all round just the coolest, met her recently at a seminar she's awesome. And John is a crossover trainer who's been using R+ for years now after realising the difference in his Neapolitan Mastiff using positive training.

Also love Nando Brown, Steve Mann and I don't know their names but there's a few I see regularly on the force free sport dog pages I've been admiring. Recently liked the FetchMasters page on Facebook doing R+ gundog work, fab work their doing

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Came here to say SG as well. I love the way she trains and how motivating she is with agility. I also do agree her price is the biggest turn off.

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Favorite Trainers in general? Ian Dunbar, Patricia McConnell, and Nando Brown. Their advice is just so practical and logical and can be applied to all sorts of situations- from training a well behaved pet to working with dogs with behavioral issues. All very intelligent people too. I follow them on facebook and they always post very informative (and sometimes humorous) statuses and articles.

Victoria Stilwell as well, she's the one who got me interested in dog training in the first place and I always think about how lucky it was that I watched Animal Planet as a kid and not Nat Geo Wild, otherwise my dog training philosophy might have turned out quite differently!

At the moment: I've been reading Control Unleashed recently by Leslie McDevitt- it's been helping a lot with Delilah and she's getting the exercises down indoors- can't wait until it's warm enough to start practicing outside! I'd love to go to a CU seminar by her- one of the trainers at the facility I train at mentioned they might try to get her to do one in the next year or two!

I also love Temple Grandin although she's an animal behaviorist and doesn't specialize in dogs. I especially love her book, "Animals Make Us Human" which does bring up some interesting points about dog psychology and welfare (each chapter focuses on a different domestic species).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good discussion.

I like Dr. Sophia Yin too. Also, I have watched some of Michael Ellis's videos on youtube too, on topics such as advanced heeling.

·
Premium Member
Zoe, Phoenix, Alice - ACDx
4,351 Posts
My favorites:
Emily Larlham
Kris Willson
Pam Johnson
Patrycja Kowalczyk (zolzabc on youtube)
Grisha Stewart
Patricia McConnell
Nicole Wilde
Jean Donaldson
Pat Miller
Trish King
Karen Pryor

Susan Garrett is okay but she's so expensive and a lot of her stuff feels like marketing to me. I remember this one webinar that she hosted and she said something like "I would charge $1,000/hour if I could because I'm worth it" and I was like wow.... Ego, much? I know she deserves her ego but I really don't like it.

I also really loved Sophia Yin. (RIP) :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hmmm I love all the trainers mentioned so far but I think I would have to say Jean Donaldson is my favorite. I love her book Culture Clash :D It really helped change my mind about a lot of things.

Also I was wondering, could I start a thread about our favorite dogs owned by trainers? So like out of all the trainer you know which of their dogs would be your favorite. Hope that makes sense :p I wasn't sure if it was too similar to this thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts