Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know a lot of you like to use Dremels, and I have one, too. I still use nail clippers, though, most of the time. I was wondering, for those who have used multiple brands/makes, what clippers are your favorite?

Right now, I'm using these basic clippers: Amazon.com: Millers Forge Stainless Steel Dog Nail Clipper, Plier Style: Pet Supplies
Not much to complain about, but I imagine there is room for improvement.

I'd be especially interested to know if you've used that clipper in particular and then found something you liked more than it.

TIA!

·
Banned
6,595 Posts

I'm using ones like in the photo. Can't remember the brand but they're fantastic! I like how they cut and I find it's easier to keep clean edges with them :) The only difficulty I have with them is that Koda doesn't like her nails being clipped, so I hold her paws like you would a horses hoof. It makes the dew claws a bit harder, but I think it'd be the same for any clippers :)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Okay kids, always follow the link. I used to have a pair of those, but they were pretty bad, so I moved over to these miller forge ones (petco.com - Millers Forge Pet Nail Trimmers and Clippers customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings). I like them a lot for doing my mom's havanese since they are sharp and easy to manoever. They are a bit too small for my tastes for my dogs though. For mine, I use the bamboo ones since they fit better in my hand and I can get better leverage.

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, FS... I'll check out the Bamboo ones. I've used those orange MF clippers, too and actually "strongly disliked" them, lol! Guess it's a personal taste thing. Our clinic (for the most part) uses the basic red MFs that I use right now for my own, so I've done a lot of dogs in them. Really, my least fav thing about them is after a lot of use, the spring will start to pop out or the handle covers will start sliding.

Ps... whatdya mean by "always follow the link?" I'm confused. :S

So Kwen, those are guillotine style, which I've never used. Have you (or anyone) used the plier types too but found that you liked the guillotines more? ETA: FS, I just looked up the Bamboos, guillotines as well. So you like them over plier styles?

·
Banned
472 Posts
I have always loved the Miller's Forge ones FailedSlacker linked. Although they may be a different size than the ones I use, since I use mine on Great Danes, Mastiffs, Newfies, etc. with no problem. I think they make a large and medium/small though, and I've never tried the smaller sizes.

I've tried many different brands and types over the years while grooming (even different types from MF) and did not like any others as much as those ones. They're hands down the best. I do dremel every dog's nails, but it helps to clip off the excess first!

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Hmm, FS... I'll check out the Bamboo ones. I've used those orange MF clippers, too and actually "strongly disliked" them, lol! Guess it's a personal taste thing. Our clinic (for the most part) uses the basic red MFs that I use right now for my own, so I've done a lot of dogs in them. Really, my least fav thing about them is after a lot of use, the spring will start to pop out or the handle covers will start sliding.

Ps... whatdya mean by "always follow the link?" I'm confused. :S

So Kwen, those are guillotine style, which I've never used. Have you (or anyone) used the plier types too but found that you liked the guillotines more? ETA: FS, I just looked up the Bamboos, guillotines as well. So you like them over plier styles?
Yup! I've used both and find this style to be better. Maybe the other ones were too dull, but I found these ones given me results more similar to the dremel-I can get really close or even just shave the claw because it's so sharp until it's where I'd like. Easy to angle and get close to the quick, and easy to use I would say for your average person.

When I clip I also hold Koda's feet up like you would for a horse hoof (I'm used to it and she struggles less) so maybe that's part of what makes it easier.

The other ones I found were just never sharp enough, no matter how sharp-so I think it's a design thing I didn't like. Being able to see exactly what you're doing head on and keep the clippers straight is so easy you don't realize you're doing it.

As a side note I do my bunny's claws with giant dog clippers (the same ones) and it's sooooooo much easier. She minded a whole lot less, too, because it went way faster.

I used to use plier types on the cat and my rabbit (and my friend's dogs) and I hated them. I always catch the claw at the wrong angle or if they twitch at all it becomes super difficult.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Originally I just saw the miller's forge and just assumed you meant the orange ones.

The bamboos shouldn't be guillotine (I loathe that style) meant this one -
like the orange miller forge, but more ergonomic.

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for clarifying, FS! I was just reading on a dog groomers forum and there were several who also said they loved the Bamboos but that they were discontinued... if that's the case, boo.

Interestingly, the majority over there used either the ones I use or the orange ones you/SD use. So at least I'm not totally on the wrong track. I'm just debating whether to get another pair of the reds or to try something else. Considering it's not a huge investment, I could do both and leave one at my parents' and one at my home.

SD, have you used the white handled MF guillotines?

·
Super Moderator
4,351 Posts
I have this pair of nail clippers from PetEdge. I love them. They are small and very easy to use.

I don't dremel their nails anymore because I can't get Zoe over her fear of it and it's just not worth it to me. I can get her nails really short with the nail clippers and then I file them with a regular (people) nail file.

I do their nails every other week.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,351 Posts
NP!! Just make sure you get the little ones. They work great on bigger dogs nails. I like them way better than any other nail clipper and the only time I couldn't use them was on great pyrenese and a doberman with super thick nails. They are my "go to" nail clippers for most breeds and cats, too.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Personally I like the guillotine style the best. I feel like they "squeeze" the nail a little less, and I have had to do a LOT of counter-conditioning with Maisy for nail trims and they are easier for me to use while using a clicker in the same hand at the same time.

I'm hopeless with a Dremel. Just a menace to society. The first and last time I tried it with Pip, I had been advised to poke his nails through a nylon knee-high so his hair didn't get tangled, which was awesome except then I tangled up the nylon sock instead. I put it down forever after that.

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Sass.

And that (the leg feathers) is exactly why I won't even attempt our Dremel with Champ anymore. With our other dogs, if the feathers get caught in the attachment, no big deal. I would be SOL if it happened to Champ. And he wouldn't appreciate the pantyhose, either. He's my one who's taken a lot of work to be able to clip his nails, so yeah, any clipper that is known for being sharp, quick, and less likely to "squeeze" or break nails is much appreciated.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I think it's a lot of personal preference. It'd be worth trying both to check which you think is easier :) Both being sharp, of course.

I wonder if you can sharpen them easily?

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know some send theirs in for sharpening when they do their clipper blades. The red MFs aren't well suited for it, but they're so cheap, it's not hard to just replace them....

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
I have the orange MFs and like them. I don't like the guillotine style. When, I worked in a dog daycare, out of the clippers they had, I liked these (they didn't have MF):

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I use pliers for big dogs and scissor for small dogs and cats. I never use guillotine. I don't have a particular brand I like. though I will say the ones from petedge that zoesmom posted I don't really like. theyre ok if youre not doing a lot of dogs, but I have busted quite a few pairs of them quickly in a salon.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Timely topic for me! Someone's learned where we stash the grooming stuff, and the clippers and my brand-new, never-used nail file specially ordered from Petsmart have both gone missing. I guess I'll buy a new pair of clippers and hope the file turns up.

I'm looking at you, Gracie.

·
Banned
811 Posts
Roman uses the bamboo brand clippers with a dremel end... In pink of course.
I like it.

I also use a xl size human nail clippers.
Great for clipping between toehair too and tidying up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts