Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chinese shar-pei that i have had for over 8 years. She has major problems with her stomach and her ears. Her stomach makes this sound as if it is full of water and some one is blowing bubbles in it. Her vet puts her on this special food that cost $18.00 a bag, and her ears keeps a yeast infection. There really isn't anything her vet can do. He says she needs surgery ($2500) but i can not afford it. Does any one have any suggestions as to what i can do to help her?

·
Registered
92 Posts
well first off, any food that you can ONLY get from the vet is usually crap food and can make situations worse.

I'd start feeding your dog some human grade dog food (Wellness, Solid Gold, Chicken Soup, Nature's Variety, Country Naturals). Make sure you read the labels to how much your dog should be getting.
A dog on Science Diet will have to eat MORE than a dog on Wellness because Science Diet is filled with fillers which are not good for a dog and can have them gain alot of weight quickly.

Also besides a healthy diet, make sure you are giving your dog enough attention and playing with them. Take her out for walks as much as possible, weather permitting, and let her chase balls or do something that she enjoys doing that requires excersize.

What exactly did your vet say was the matter with her? Is she just fat and that's causing all the problems?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree with sonnywimps. Except that I would get a grain free dog food. Better yet, a good raw diet!

I deal with dogs with yeasty ears all the time. You need to get R7 ear wash and flush out her ears every day once a day for a week. Fill up her ear canals with it and massage the base (outside) of her ears to be sure you get a good cleaning. Depending on how much of that brown stuff is in her ears, you may have to do this a few times in a row the first time. Also do this outside as she will shake her head like crazy! You don't need to swab her ears dry as this stuff has alcohol in it and it will dry up the ear and help to kill off the yeast. But you should swab out the yeast crud that comes out. Keep her on a leash so she doesn't run away from you! :)

There is a really great ear powder that you can get to put in her ears everyday for a couple of weeks, then go to once a week. It's called Wonder Ear. This stuff is fantastic. For the first week, do the flushing, then when her ears are dry, put in the powder. Do this every day for a week. Then you can flush out her ears once a week and put the powder in when the ears are dry. For the second week used white vinegar to flush out her ears, wait for the ears to be dry then put in some powder. Do this every day for one week. Then as upkeep, do this once a week to once a month. Her ears will clean up really well if you stick to this schedule.

If your vet gave you any ear medication to put in her ears, what they don't tell you is that you have to flush that out everyday and put more back in. The medication will go rancid and will keep the yeast problem going.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
just wanted to add that some dogs do not do well on grain-free food. Most dogs will do fine on it, but some will not. My Pom could not have grain-free food for he threw up all the time when I was slowly (and I mean slowly) adjusting him over to Innova Evo. I think it all depends on the dog.
Rice is the ONLY grain that I will give my dog.

·
Registered
80 Posts
just wanted to add that some dogs do not do well on grain-free food. Most dogs will do fine on it, but some will not. My Pom could not have grain-free food for he threw up all the time when I was slowly (and I mean slowly) adjusting him over to Innova Evo. I think it all depends on the dog.
Rice is the ONLY grain that I will give my dog.
Oh! You tried the EVO! That food can be way too rich for some breeds of dogs. I can feed that to my Kerries, but not to Boxers or a friend of mines Mini Schnauzers and several other breeds. Way too rich for them.

I had a Boxer like SHAWNM39 Shar-pei, and switched her to an all raw diet, with buffalo, goat yogurt and lots of veggies. She did very well on it and it cleared up her growling stomach and yeasty ears. The added pluses were, clean smelling breath, shinny coat and eyes, perfect weight etc!

SHAWNM39, how is your dog doing now? Any improvements? Did you go to another vet?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts