Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having issues where my dogs are eating incredibly fast, I believe to the point where they are not even chewing their food. We started with a chihuahua that ate very fast when at my mother's house with her dogs, and then we brought home our Sheltie. She use to be an oudoor dog and could make a bowl of food last several days, now she eats like this is her last meal. Finally, we just adopted a lab who ate very nicely the first few days, and now she too scarfs down her meals.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? They are not really aggressive, they just dont want the other dogs to get to their food. All three are very food motivated animals and I think that's part of the problem. We have tried to seperate them, but it still doesnt seem to help.

Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
You can hand feed, put a large rock in their bowls so they have to eat around the rock or get a bowl with lifted sections for the same idea, or you could add something like plain oatmeal in
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
They sell dog bowls now that are made specifically for this problem they make it so the dogs have to slow down to eat because they have to work a little bit to get the food out. Here is a pic of them and their pricing.

Dog Food Bowls

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
You can also buy metal or weighted balls that are made to sit in your dog's dish (same idea as the rock- its slows your dog down). I don't know the name, but I just recently saw them at my local pet supply store.
I have also heard of people buying a heavy chain and placing it in their dog's dish or spreading food out over an old cookie sheet.

You could also try a food dispensing toy (buster cube, Tug-a-jug, etc). It's actually how I feed my Min Pin most of the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.