Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I currently have two miniature dachshunds, Sissy is 9 and Maisy is 12. I am looking for another dog since I am a very active person, but would like to pic a breed that matches my lifestyle.
I want a dog that is not prone to "wander off". One that could be trained to stay in the yard, and not like a beagle that would chase after a smell. I dont want anything too small, but one that loves to excersize, but not to big. Cant really afford to look after a big dog. I have time for a puppy, and would perfer one. Anyway, any suggestions? I was thinking about a jack russel, or a small golden retriever.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Well I currently have two miniature dachshunds, Sissy is 9 and Maisy is 12. I am looking for another dog since I am a very active person, but would like to pic a breed that matches my lifestyle.
I want a dog that is not prone to "wander off". One that could be trained to stay in the yard, and not like a beagle that would chase after a smell. I dont want anything too small, but one that loves to excersize, but not to big. Cant really afford to look after a big dog. I have time for a puppy, and would perfer one. Anyway, any suggestions? I was thinking about a jack russel, or a small golden retriever.
When you say big do you mean normal Golden Retriever size? Or do you mean a mastiff? I was going to say Golden Retriever or even a mutt from your local shelter. Any dog can be trained to not wander off...is your yard not fenced? Does your area not require dogs to be contained by a fence or by leash? JRT are going to be more rambunctious and wander IMO more than dachshunds.

Dachshunds, as far as I have known them, do not take well to large breed puppies. At least mine didn't, so that may be something you need to consider.

Is there somebody who is going to be home all the time?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill be home most of the time, maybe gone a few hours a day. And yes, my dachsunds hate big dogs o-o
My back yard is fenced, but my front yard isnt. Since the front yard is bigger, thats where I take my dogs. I wanted a jack russell because they were about the size of a dachshund, only a little taller, and I wanted a dog that had a lot of energy...
And I mean a golden retriever, but not standard size. Yes, like a shelter dog. Ive never adopted from a shelter before though, so Im a bit nervous.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Ill be home most of the time, maybe gone a few hours a day. And yes, my dachsunds hate big dogs o-o
My back yard is fenced, but my front yard isnt. Since the front yard is bigger, thats where I take my dogs. I wanted a jack russell because they were about the size of a dachshund, only a little taller, and I wanted a dog that had a lot of energy...
And I mean a golden retriever, but not standard size. Yes, like a shelter dog. Ive never adopted from a shelter before though, so Im a bit nervous.
I don't think you should be nervous. JRT will have tons of energy so as long as you can give the dog something to do often. :) what about checking for a JRT rescue?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hadnt found any local ones, but Ive been looking at my local shelter and they seem to have a lot of JRT and JRT mixes, and Im not to picky, and love mix breeds anyway ;D

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I would highly recommend checking at a shelter-you often can bring in your own dogs (or other pets) to ensure they all get along-and even take them all for a walk or a romp :)

Welcome!!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
JRT are not a good dog for most people....you will have to segragate everytime your dogs need to be alone. Among many other things

They are very very often dog aggressive and are notorious for killing other dogs.

I researched them heavily when I brought Emma home. I was not happy with what I found...since then I have talked to many breeders online who have confirmed what I have read.

what about a poodle? A shnauzer? A pomeranian? A shih tzu? I can think of a dozen others that I'd recommend waaay before a JRT. :) :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
They are very very often dog aggressive and are notorious for killing other dogs.
Wow thats not good.

what about a poodle? A shnauzer? A pomeranian? A shih tzu? I can think of a dozen others that I'd recommend waaay before a JRT. :) :)
Hmmmm, I would go with schnauzer out of all of them because IMO they are the most active, poodles are just crazy LOL

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldnt want a longhaired dog...would a rat terrier be a better choice? Well I dont like sayying "better", no dog is "better", but you know what I mean.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ohh and forgot to add, I will most likely NOT be getting a puppy. I decided to rescue an older dog.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Ohh and forgot to add, I will most likely NOT be getting a puppy. I decided to rescue an older dog.
I think any terrier is going to have tons of energy. I would suggest finding a dog you are interested in then take your dogs to meet this dog :)

My friend has a rat terrier and she is so hyper but so sweet.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've never found a JRT to be very aggresive or prone to killing other dogs :eek: Here it's mostly old women who have JRTs, they are energetic but any I've seen that are used to being walked and meeting other dogs have been very calm and pay no attention to other dogs. I wonder is it because the breed is different in different countries?

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
I've never found a JRT to be very aggresive or prone to killing other dogs :eek: Here it's mostly old women who have JRTs, they are energetic but any I've seen that are used to being walked and meeting other dogs have been very calm and pay no attention to other dogs. I wonder is it because the breed is different in different countries?
i'm gonna have a go at answering this...

i think the difference is that you live out in the country(i think?)...JRT's there are likely to have a regular job of keeping pests away...JRT's in a more urban environment will be more likely to be a bit more confined and less likely to have that same job as they do where you are...

i used to think that i wanted a JRT but i have cats...the way it was explained to me was they'll be fine with your cats for a long time then one day, when your a bit busy or your routine changes, they get bored and just kill the cat...this was from someone who is really into JRT's and did JRT rescue...as soon as i said "cats" she said "not a great idea"

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hmmm I think it actually might be that they are different here too, alot of the rescues recommend them for old people, because they are small and great lap dogs, and this isn't where I live, I'm talking about in the nearest town, you often see old ladies doing their shopping with their little Jack Russell and they don't so much as look at other people or animals, great for old people who aren't really able to control a dog if it did, the Irish Jack Russell, that is.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
backyard breeding is quickly ruining the JRT in the US that and they were made popular by Eddie on Frasier and every inapropriate home under the sun wants them now.

They are a gamey gamey terrier and don't do well in most homes.

a good article...from the horses mouth...the JRT people themselves.
http://www.therealjackrussell.com/advice/aggression.php

Jack Russells are often aggressive with other dogs. Same-sex aggression and aggression towards other breeds of dogs is well documented with this terrier. It is strongly recommended that no more than two Jack Russells (of opposite sex only) ever be permitted to stay together unattended.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
backyard breeding is quickly ruining the JRT in the US that and they were made popular by Eddie on Frasier and every inapropriate home under the sun wants them now.

They are a gamey gamey terrier and don't do well in most homes.

a good article...from the horses mouth...the JRT people themselves.
Jack Russell Terrier: Advice: Aggression
don't forget wishbone...he was a JRT too i think....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
whats the story wishbone!?

i forgot about him....but yeah...two calm trained to heck and back dogs are not good examples of what the average pup with the average owner would be :)

I don't even think Eddie does anything but sit and look cute

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im looking into an older dog, about five years. That when all the pep is gone, atleast in my experiance thats when they calm down xD Im still hooked on a JRT, but I'm trying to find another breed thats short haired, or semi short haired that would fit my lifestyle.
Back yard breeding is ruining JRT and Dalmatians.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts