Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has experience with false pregnancy? My dog who is a black lab/border collie and is 3 years old, seems to be lactating and she hasn't had any sexual contact with any male dogs. She has been around a little male dog, playing, but nothing that would cause her to become pregnant.

She is lactating (or at least it seems - I noticed crusty stuff under her undercarriage and noticed milk coming out when I checked more thoroughly) but her breast do not seem to be really swollen like a real pregnant dog's would be.

She has recently been on prednisone for itching (during a transition to raw food) as she has been licking her vulva raw. We stopped that about a week ago. I don't really like using any medication but felt really bad for her because she was licking herself raw, that I thought its best to give her something temporary for itching relief. She is also on a antibiotic spray for the raw areas. She has been eating raw food for approximately 3 weeks and seems to be doing good otherwise.

False pregnancy wise, the only real symptom I see is lactating, and maybe some laziness but nothing worrisome.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?
The vet doesn't seem to be too concerned - I didn't go in a see them, but told them over the phone what was happening and they said its probably from hormones and as long as the discharge is not a strange colour, everything should be fine... just want to be sure my baby Bella is ok!

Thanks everyone,
Kerri

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had this happen multiple times with my bitches... It usually happens a few months after their last heat. It will last a few weeks then subside. Only thing to watch for is Mastitis

·
Registered
917 Posts
I had a scottie that had at least one false pregnancy. It was when I was a teen but what I remember is that she looked and acted pregnant for a bit and then started lactating. She also horded some of her toys and mothered them. It all cleared up on it's own in her case, without issue.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had this happen multiple times with my bitches... It usually happens a few months after their last heat. It will last a few weeks then subside. Only thing to watch for is Mastitis
I read that false pregnancy "usually" happens after the dog has already had a litter, but my dog has not had a litter.. so maybe this is untrue. She is 3 and has had maybe 4 heats. The timing would be right though because she had her last heat about 2 months ago. I can't wait for it to subside so she can feel good again and no milk on the couch and blankets lol.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a scottie that had at least one false pregnancy. It was when I was a teen but what I remember is that she looked and acted pregnant for a bit and then started lactating. She also horded some of her toys and mothered them. It all cleared up on it's own in her case, without issue.
I find it rather strange that a dog can experience "false" pregnancy. I didn't even know that was a thing until I recently looked it up when I realized Bella was lactating. I have had dogs before and never experienced this - so this is a first for me. Bella is pretty lazy, unless we take her for a walk, but I haven't really noticed hoarding anything YET lol. She has been lactating for almost a week now.. I can't wait for it to stop so she can feel good again :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I find it rather strange that a dog can experience "false" pregnancy. I didn't even know that was a thing until I recently looked it up when I realized Bella was lactating. I have had dogs before and never experienced this - so this is a first for me. Bella is pretty lazy, unless we take her for a walk, but I haven't really noticed hoarding anything YET lol. She has been lactating for almost a week now.. I can't wait for it to stop so she can feel good again :)
I've had it happen to both bitches who has litters and ones who havnt... Once it happens once it will most likely happen after each heat
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 6 of 6 Posts