Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some stuff saying that alot of dog food contains euthanized pets and road kill:sick:馃ぎ is there a possibility that this could be true, it's quite confusing. I do hope it's not, but we live in a messed up world!
Apparently some of the foods have been found to have euthanized chemicals in the foods and shelters sometimes sell the animals they euthanized??? I learned this a while ago, took me forever to stop thinking about it all the time.

Registered
That rumour has been going around for so many years. In my country that is absolutely forbidden but the USA has different food standards.
However I would consider it highly unlikely.

Registered
I recommend the dog food advisor --- Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

This is a good place, probably the best, to get recommendations on dog food.

some dog food manufacturers use whatever they can get, and I wouldn't trust them. For instance, if the label simply says "animal protein", it could be anything. If you are very careful which foods you choose and stay current with recalls you will probably do as best you can. You can sign up on that website for emails that will only come if there is an important food recall.
The foods they recommend on that site have a good history without recalls, and the analysis of the food is very imformative.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dogs were on Purina I think, but then we switched their food. Their coats are so soft now! And they are so much happier and healthier with it! I have a big family, so it is to hard too hard to cook for them and my family, so it is nice to find a good brand of dog food

Registered
Another good reason to stay away from processed foods for your pets.
Many people advocate very strongly for a raw or home cooked diet, and I think it is probably a very good thing for many dogs. It has to be done exactly right, though, to cover all of the nutritional needs that dogs have, so a fair bit of research and knowledge has to go into it. And, of course, every dog is different and some do not tolerate some foods. I cannot feed raw at all, for instance, because one of my dogs will just throw it up.

Not all processed dog or cat food is bad. It takes a bit of research to understand what the good ones are and, more importantly, why they are better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts