Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

· Premium Member
10,623 Posts
The reason I worry about XXL mixed breed pit bulls, like Hulk's, health is that I'm highly doubtful they are breeding for healthy dogs. I could be wrong but I really doubt it. Say the male dog is healthy, did they bother to also pick the healthiest female, or did they just pick the biggest one that they could find? If they didn't then the puppies stand a really good chance of growing up to be walking vet bills. The other thing to consider, would be do both the dogs have sound temperaments or are they simply extremely large dogs. That last is extremely important when the dogs are being advertised as protection dogs like DDK's dogs are.

That's true for any breed of dogs though, whether someone is breeding XXL mutts and calling them pit bulls, or breeding a legitimate breed of dog, they should start with the healthiest possible dogs they can get.

Reactions: cos

· Registered
1,174 Posts
I thought of this thread yesterday because I saw the worlds most ridiculous sight in chinatown.

There was a guy standing talking to someone with his pitibull laying down next to him.

The poor dog was covered in a huge harness made out of what appeared to be seatbelt webbing, infact it looked like he was wearing a race car seat belt. He also had a studded collar with huge spikes and his leash was a piece of rope that looked like it had previously been used to secure a cargo ship to the dock. The tight cropped ears just rounded out the picture

· Registered
1,479 Posts
The reason I worry about XXL mixed breed pit bulls, like Hulk's, health is that I'm highly doubtful they are breeding for healthy dogs. I could be wrong but I really doubt it. Say the male dog is healthy, did they bother to also pick the healthiest female, or did they just pick the biggest one that they could find? If they didn't then the puppies stand a really good chance of growing up to be walking vet bills. The other thing to consider, would be do both the dogs have sound temperaments or are they simply extremely large dogs. That last is extremely important when the dogs are being advertised as protection dogs like DDK's dogs are.

That's true for any breed of dogs though, whether someone is breeding XXL mutts and calling them pit bulls, or breeding a legitimate breed of dog, they should start with the healthiest possible dogs they can get.

No they are usually not breeding for health. I think that the further steps they are taking in their program could lead to health issues. The reason why I don't worry as much in general about such dogs health wise is because they are relatively healthy. It is just like any other breed, it's relative to the breed. If you are breeding a breed which has several major health issues prevalent and frequency of minor issues and don't choose on health you have a good chance to produce some unhealthy dogs. If you are breeding a breed that doesn't have a high frequency of serious problems and you don't breed for health you have a low risk of producing pups with problems. This isn't any thanks to the breeder it's mere "luck" of the breeder/breed. They are still not an ethical breeder by most accounts, the genetic cards are simply stacked in their favor. You can't produce a disease for which the parents don't have the genes for.
I hope this makes sense, it's what I was trying to say before. I do think that think as this particular kennel chases size and uses bully blood they may in fact end up with unhealthy dogs.

· Premium Member
10,623 Posts
No they are usually not breeding for health. I think that the further steps they are taking in their program could lead to health issues. The reason why I don't worry as much in general about such dogs health wise is because they are relatively healthy. It is just like any other breed, it's relative to the breed. If you are breeding a breed which has several major health issues prevalent and frequency of minor issues and don't choose on health you have a good chance to produce some unhealthy dogs. If you are breeding a breed that doesn't have a high frequency of serious problems and you don't breed for health you have a low risk of producing pups with problems. This isn't any thanks to the breeder it's mere "luck" of the breeder/breed. They are still not an ethical breeder by most accounts, the genetic cards are simply stacked in their favor. You can't produce a disease for which the parents don't have the genes for.
I hope this makes sense, it's what I was trying to say before. I do think that think as this particular kennel chases size and uses bully blood they may in fact end up with unhealthy dogs.
I completely understand what your saying. The thing I worry about with breeding for ever larger XXL "pitbulls" is that they are likely cross breeding in mastiffs or other giant breed dogs, many of the more poorly bred of those have some horrid genetic health problems. Considering that an APBT tops out around 60 lbs and kennels like DDK are breeding dogs that are well over 100 lbs I think very little pitbull blood is in the mix. Sooner or later they're going to have genetic health problems crop in unless they are being a heck of a lot more careful then I think they are being.

Actually you can have genetic health problems pop up out of the blue, sporadic gene mutations do occur, Some of them can then be passed onto children, and others only effect the person or animal it occurs in.

· Registered
1,479 Posts
I completely understand what your saying. The thing I worry about with breeding for ever larger XXL "pitbulls" is that they are likely cross breeding in mastiffs or other giant breed dogs, many of the more poorly bred of those have some horrid genetic health problems. Considering that an APBT tops out around 60 lbs and kennels like DDK are breeding dogs that are well over 100 lbs I think very little pitbull blood is in the mix. Sooner or later they're going to have genetic health problems crop in unless they are being a heck of a lot more careful then I think they are being.
No they are indeed not APBT, they are an APBT derivative, bandog type. They originated as performance dogs first (I'm not saying working or sporting types don't have health problems) and if by chance the inclusion of other blood was of reasonable genetic health than that works positively in their favor. They are a young breed, only a couple decades or so, maybe in the future we will see problems but so far health issues seem low. I think the fact that they don't break down with age is also a good sign. Some dogs are fine when young, but start to show DJD or related problems with age, dogs can simply drop dead with heart issues, especially when under stress like jog catching or pulling 1000s of pounds. I think this not happening is positive for their breed.

Now again with DDK9 I agree with you. They are bringing in bully blood which is more prone to health issues. Not saying all bullies are unhealthy but they do seem to have a higher rate of genetic health problems and there are so many people breeding them like it's okay even when they have a problem. It is incredibly sad. All they care about is money and/or an extreme look. For any responsible bully breeders it's like trying to hand claw their way out of a collapsed mine. There are not enough to make a significant impact.

Actually you can have genetic health problems pop up out of the blue, sporadic gene mutations do occur, Some of them can then be passed onto children, and others only effect the person or animal it occurs in.
Somatic mutations can happen to any animal, so I don't think we can really consider that relevant to this situation.
New gene mutations can occur in individuals and end up passed down for generations and throughout a breed. That can happen within any breed, I'd say there is a relatively equal risk of that. Most genetic diseases are caused by long standing mutations, some very old across many breeds. A new mutation could happen in the Working Pit Bulldog but then it but then happen in the Tibetan Terrier. If a new mutation were to happen if even the breeders were health testing and trying to select for health they might not know about this new mutation at first and there wouldn't yet be testing for it. So again that's all chance and luck, if and when a breed may develop a new gene mutation.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.