Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
560 Posts
I agree with all of the comments. My little mutt, who I think is a terrier mix, has a personality that seems quite similar to many of the pitts I've met. She is so passionate about everything that she can be quite overwhelming at times, even though she is less than 20 pounds. She also seems to have a high pain threshold, which is something that I've read about pitbulls. I can't count how many times she's run into me at full speed or enthusiastically jumped up at me and hurt me badly with her hard head.

About a year ago, I was playing with my dog using a big flirt pole, and as she chased the toy, she ran into my leg with such force that it caused my ankle to buckle and knocked me to the ground. I heard several cracks and felt so much pain that I was sure that she broke my ankle at first. I decided to wait it out, and eventually the pain subsided, but my ankle is still much more sensitive than before. I've never known another dog, especially a toy dog, that would hit me with such force. And she didn't even react once she hit me. It was like she didn't even notice!

My dog is just so exuberant about everything. When we visit my parents, she is so excited that she runs all over the place and jumps on the bed and all over my dad's papers and is basically like a crazy dog. I realize that I could probably tame her behavior with more training, but I've never had a dog with such an intensity as Skipper. She is adorable and very, very sweet, but it's like her passion just overwhelms her at times.

I can't imagine having a giant Skipper. I can barely handle her jumping and pulling and rambunctiousness sometimes, and she's just 17 pounds. If she tried some of her antics as a 40-pound dog, I don't know what I'd do.

I also think that sometimes people overreact to bad behavior from a bully breed, when they'd hardly notice the same behavior from another dog. My dad and I were doing some community service with a group at some downtown housing projects early this year. We were playing with some kids, and one of them had a pitbull puppy. When my dad started swinging a girl by her arms, the puppy, who had been quite friendly before, became upset and bit my dad's ankle. My dad will use that event to support his opinion that pitbulls can suddenly and inexplicably turn vicious. In my opinion, the puppy was just acting like an untrained terrier puppy. The kids were somewhat rough with it, and it didn't appear to be well-cared for at all. The sad thing is that the pitbull puppy will probably grow up to be an untamed, unpredictable dog, because of the environment it is raised in, thereby perpetuating my dad's generalizations.

Reactions: purplesully
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.