Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
Delilah- Jack Russell x Rat Terrier; Marshmellow- Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
2,841 Posts
I agree with @kelly528 and @Shandula, a lot of their traits are terrier traits. My little 6 lbs terrier has a lot of traits I used to associate with pit bulls- she's very intense, everything she does she puts a lot of energy and emotion into. She has a very high prey drive and obsesses over water (hoses, fountains, waves) and squirrels. She also bites (toys, not people!) and WILL NOT let go. Because of these traits we've been working on impulse control stuff and "drop it."

I've met lot of pit bulls and mixes through working at daycares and at my local humane society and they vary how they get along with other dogs and animals. Some are the sweetest dogs with everyone, some have high prey drives, some are dog selective, some are dog aggressive. The dogs at my current job that can't be in high energy play groups are mostly pit bulls and mixes because they get so overstimulated and will try to break up play or bully or start fights. Usually fine in low energy groups with mellow dogs though.

That said, I've never met one that was human aggressive. I've been bit by a poodle, corgi, and little terrier/chi mix. The only dogs that have really scared me were a "silver lab," a maltese, an akita, and an American bulldog. The maltese and bulldog were more assertive in their aggression, barking and lunging at me. The "lab" and akita did that quiet, low growl, froze, and stared with "hard eyes." That was the scariest- those were truly aggressive dogs, I didn't even go near them. One was at the shelter and ended up being put down. Never had a problem with a pit bull being aggressive towards me though, and they're one of the most common dogs, especially when I worked at the humane society.

It's hard to find objective facts and opinions since the word "pit bull" is such a loaded and misunderstood term. Many people don't even know what a "pit bull" is and use it to describe a generic type of dog. Half the people are convinced that they're insane, evil monsters and the other half think they're perfect, flawless angels. The truth is they're neither and both of these views are equally harmful to the breed. They're just dogs.

Something to keep in mind about "pit bull attacks" is that most of that information and statistics come from the media, who are REALLY bad at identifying dog breeds- I've seen boxers, lab mixes, bulldogs called "pit bulls" though whether the media is doing this on purpose to create sensationalism or whether they genuinely don't know, I'm not sure. They also don't always report when another breed attacks. No one wants to read about a "poodle attack" or a "lab bite."

I'm not for breed specific legislation, but I do think dogs that are dangerous to the public should be euthanized. Dogs that have shown that they're a legitimate danger to people and other dogs. I think this would more effective and fair than BSL for reducing dog bites and dog attacks. I'm all for judging "the deed, not the breed." It bothers me when the pit bull people who say that don't follow through when a pit bull does attack though. They go to ridiculous lengths to justify what the dog did and "save it" even if that means separating it from its owners, keeping it isolated, defanging it, etc for the rest of it's life which I think is abuse.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.