Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
The bull & terrier was the originator of the pit bull (and the staffie & the bull terrier) so for it to have terrier qualities is not unusual if you think about it. And I think that's where some of the problem lies - the average joe (so not thugs & want-a-bes) get a pit bull thinking that'd it is going to be more bully [bulldog, etc.] and are just not prepared for that dogged terrier attitude.

Unfortunately, the pit bull is the "fad" dog to the thugs - and BYB breeders - because of the demand. A few have mentioned that a pit is gotten because the owner wants to look tough, and that's what it is for a majority of people... they want to look tough.

BSL bans pits where I live, but that doesn't keep people from wanting to "look tough" [tattoos (gang or prison) and/or excessive scarring in highly visible places, etc., getting nasty dogs (there's a guy here who has a rottie mix that is definitely ill trained & behaves badly)]. In my job we work with druggies / criminals and other thugs all the time, 70 even 80% of the dealings with the "tough guys" is nothing more than posturing on their part and if you don't flinch they're the ones backing down.

But ultimately it's not entirely the breed's fault - though certainly a dog aggressive breed doesn't help in that respect - however, proof of it is more the human's fault... in the 90s, a large majority of dog to human attacks were rotties according to bite stats websites.

And I mean, any dog is as capable of attacking given the "right" conditions. Ill training, owner with no control / discipline, nervous dog [human], etc. My aunt just last weekend was telling me how she watched as what was later proven [cause cops were definitely called, along with animal control] a Mastiff took off from its owner (whose recall was garbage) and viciously mauled a young Standard Poodle at the dog park in front of her and the poodle's owner. The Mastiff only let go of the poodle - it was shaking the poodle like a rat - when a man ran up and pretty much kicked the dog in the side of the head [sure not exactly humane but the Mastiff's owner was standing like a slack jaw apparently and neither aunt nor poodle's owner wanted to tangle with the Mastiff in case it turned on them].

Yet if you asked the average person what they thought of an Mastiff the common response would be - big "dopey" dog. Hardly vicious / not dangerous.

· Registered
18 Posts
BSL is just that BS for Losers.

Government needs to spend more time and effort on teaching responsible ownership, positive training methods, proper selection of breeds, making new laws to prevent BYBers, dog fighting rings, dog abuse, etc. instead. Heck, if I had it my way, I'd force prospective puppy buyers to have to go through a pre-adoption class and be forced to take a test before they even get to sniff a dog.
Indeed BSL wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the losers.

Don't blame the people trying to do what they think will protect themselves, their dogs, and their children - blame the deadbeats, the want-a-be tough guys whom are really more wimpy than a woman with a broken fingernail hence they need a tough dog to pretend they really do have a set of balls, the criminals / druggies and literal human "scum". Those are the idiots responsible for BSL and the pit bull just got taken along for the ride.

I dealt with these "lovely" humans on a daily basis when doing security to help pay for my education. The sites I worked were intercity and in the slums / extremely run down. A lot of the times square in some gang's turf. These are the sort of places people don't waste time calling cops about; because most times the cops aren't showing up.

I learnt the street code quickly [an actual gang member / drug dealer took something of a "shine" to me you could say after one run in] and was taught how you could tell whom on the street was a "feather-less chicken". They were oftentimes hiding behind the nastiest pit bull or rottie going. Some of the neighborhoods you couldn't walk down without a pit bull or rottie or GSD type charging the fence every second or third lot going bonkers. Nothing but simple intimidation - corner such people without their dogs and you'll find them singing a completely different tune.

Remove these feather-less chickens - and the other "lovelies" on the lower scale of society - and you loss a major market for street level "pit bulls".

On that note it is NOT the government's responsibility to teach proper "ownership". Particularly when it'd be an utter waste of moneyor have you not watched some of the dog training shows on TV where the owners go home and systematically undermine the trainer's work behind closed doors [Brad Pattison's TV show for example]? While we're at it why not create a division in the government where people will chase dog owners around with a pooper scooper? Sorry but I really have no patience for people whom expect the government to hold their hands and guide them through life [hand everything over silver platter style].

A growing number of states (even regions/states) have liability insurance - some make it a finable offense (to a degree you can even face jail time if you keep getting fined) to even have something remotely resembling a pit bull if you don't have at least a minimum of $100,000 liability insurance. I think it's a dang good idea. Too many people end up getting attacked or their dogs attacked by a "pit bull" only to find out the owner is nothing but a jailbird with barely $50 to their name or does a runner and leaves the victims with a hefty bill to pay out of their own pocket... at least then someone is responsible even if the dog's owner is nothing but a loser not fit to own a fruit fly [yet alone a pit bull].

I agree with the BYB and better laws. But what is a BYB? Is it just someone whimsically breeding? Is it someone breeding dogs with no titles (either with no health testing or little health testing - or simply bred out faults from generations of working with a particular bloodline)? Is it someone that breeds working dogs (again, what is the principle to health testing?)? Is it someone that breeds dogs outside the standard? Is it someone that breeds a "fad" [a number of designer dogs are plagued with a BYB aspect]? Unfortunately, BYB breeders are not quite like a puppy mill which is sort of "cut & dry".

I mean to some Coffee is nothing but an undesirable BYB dog. He is a Yakut Laika, he came from the actual Yakut people [the "health testing" was nature and generations of breeding out weaknesses]; he is extremely healthy [my vet, 24 years experience, swears he's never seen a healthier dog]. The Yakut couldn't careless for dog show titles (and the dogs that survived were often the healthiest instead of being health tested) as I do think trying to survive ranks a little higher on the totem pole than either.

I'd force prospective puppy buyers to have to go through a pre-adoption class and be forced to take a test before they even get to sniff a dog

We don't do that with people having children and working out two methadone clinics [pharmacist] which is for narcotic / opiate addiction [and heroin amongst other drugs] I see many, many, many people that shouldn't have children. I can't say much - patient confidentially - but there's a number of children born to these people [young children] on multiple drugs already to combat the problems caused by drug abuse / alcohol abuse by mother and heavy exposure to [cig & other] smoke.

The problem is, the pit is a powerful dog and most slack jaws [thugs, criminals, losers, etc.] that own it on the street aren't fit to own a fruit fly as a pet yet alone something like a pit bull. Those fools and the BYBs that take advantage of those fools' demand for the pit bull by breeding "mangy mutts" together [as most street bred pit bulls are 90% mutt] where the criteria is they're big and nasty ... who gives a "sh*t" if the dog has the mental stability of a cracker box... are the cause for BSL.

And that's the other problem - APBT [or pedigree pit] or street pit - the "breed" has become a catch phrase for pretty much anything that looks like a bully but doesn't meet the standard of other breeds. I've had people tell me "look a pit bull" and I am looking at something that is a lab x boxer or similar.

Ask a person with little dog knowledge to point out a pit bull - they'd point to a dozen mix breeds and probably more than a few pure bloods. It's the same thing that happens with wolves & coyotes [do you know how many people say that their mix breeds (pound puppies) look like wolves & coyotes - because 90% of the time those people wouldn't know what a wolf or coyote looked like unless it was chewing on their read end].

And you find Canada "stupid" with their BSL. Try some European countries, they go nuts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.