Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
10,623 Posts
I'll answer in blue.

BSL
Is this a last resort or is it a case of enough is enough?
The only thing BSL accomplishes is to cause law abiding owners to not own pit bulls. The ones that do not follow the law will still have them. It's also proven that BSL does nothing to lessen dog bite cases, only dog bites by the banned breed. Breed-Specific Legislation (BSL) FAQ I NCRC IMHO for BSL to work you'd have to switch to Species Specific Legislation and ban dog ownership. BSL does not stop careless, uncaring people from owning dogs and I think it's those that are responsible for the majority of dog bites.

Off leash/on leash/muzzle
Restriction of breed, look, character, or does it matter?
I'm not sure what you mean? Are you still questioning BSL or do you mean should Pit Bulls be muzzled, or kept on leash? If the latter, I don't think any breed of dog should be muzzled just because they are that breed, now if the dog is known to act aggressively then it should be muzzled regardless of the breed. I think all leash laws should be followed no matter the breed, and I think that it's best to err on the side of caution when it comes to pit bulls and just keep them on leash in public places and not take them to dog parks, simply because of the hysteria surrounding them. An example would be if I were to let my little, aggressive, dog run around loose and it ran up to a put bull, that was also unleashed, and attacked it, if that pit bull retaliated 10 to 1 the headlines would read loose Pit Bull attacked dog even though my dog was the one who started it. Now if that Pit Bull had been on leash the owner could fight the headline.

Pit bull to dog bite
Crazy/untrained Pit bull or defensive attributes?
Pit Bulls tend towards dog aggression, not all of them do but enough so that it's considered a trait in the breed. Some are fine with all other dogs and would never think of fighting, some hate all other dogs and would kill them given half the chance, most fall somewhere in between. If the dog is genetically predisposed towards dog aggression then all the socialization in the world will not cause it to be fine with other dogs BUT the owner can work towards getting the dog to tolerate other dogs and not go into must fight mode. Those who say that "It's all in how they are raised" are incorrect, but that's true of all breeds of dogs, genetics play a large part. Pit Bull Rescue Central
The Pitbull and Dog Aggression https://www.animalhumanesociety.org/training/understanding-dog-tolerance-pit-bulls

Got a question? Ask.

· Premium Member
10,623 Posts
And yeah mastiff type pit bulls ARE becoming a problem of have you Eenypup not being reading up on the breed. There's XL pits, XXL pits. Some of them are nothing but fat bully dogs and about as really threatening to a human as a three legged cat... but some kennels do breed correct LARGE pitbulls.

And that's the problem if you didn't know ... people breeding big pits on the street to be tougher.

Thing is they are so far from what a pure bred APBT is supposed to be, structure and weight wise, that they should not be labeled a pit bull anymore then my Chi x Dach should be labeled a Dachshund simply because he has the chest of one. They're mutts.

Take a look at this dog, you may already know about him, https://www.thedodo.com/giant-pit-bull-hulk-puppies-1268745401.html , aside from the head shape that looks nothing like an APBT, he looks like an overweight mutt. Look up the kennel's FB page and watch what they train those dogs to do. Thanks to them the negative view of pit bulls, and people knowing nothing about what a true APBT looks like, is perpetuated. It also makes the thugs, gangstas, and wannabes want pit bulls all the more.

Reactions: cos

· Premium Member
10,623 Posts
The reason I worry about XXL mixed breed pit bulls, like Hulk's, health is that I'm highly doubtful they are breeding for healthy dogs. I could be wrong but I really doubt it. Say the male dog is healthy, did they bother to also pick the healthiest female, or did they just pick the biggest one that they could find? If they didn't then the puppies stand a really good chance of growing up to be walking vet bills. The other thing to consider, would be do both the dogs have sound temperaments or are they simply extremely large dogs. That last is extremely important when the dogs are being advertised as protection dogs like DDK's dogs are.

That's true for any breed of dogs though, whether someone is breeding XXL mutts and calling them pit bulls, or breeding a legitimate breed of dog, they should start with the healthiest possible dogs they can get.

Reactions: cos

· Premium Member
10,623 Posts
No they are usually not breeding for health. I think that the further steps they are taking in their program could lead to health issues. The reason why I don't worry as much in general about such dogs health wise is because they are relatively healthy. It is just like any other breed, it's relative to the breed. If you are breeding a breed which has several major health issues prevalent and frequency of minor issues and don't choose on health you have a good chance to produce some unhealthy dogs. If you are breeding a breed that doesn't have a high frequency of serious problems and you don't breed for health you have a low risk of producing pups with problems. This isn't any thanks to the breeder it's mere "luck" of the breeder/breed. They are still not an ethical breeder by most accounts, the genetic cards are simply stacked in their favor. You can't produce a disease for which the parents don't have the genes for.
I hope this makes sense, it's what I was trying to say before. I do think that think as this particular kennel chases size and uses bully blood they may in fact end up with unhealthy dogs.
I completely understand what your saying. The thing I worry about with breeding for ever larger XXL "pitbulls" is that they are likely cross breeding in mastiffs or other giant breed dogs, many of the more poorly bred of those have some horrid genetic health problems. Considering that an APBT tops out around 60 lbs and kennels like DDK are breeding dogs that are well over 100 lbs I think very little pitbull blood is in the mix. Sooner or later they're going to have genetic health problems crop in unless they are being a heck of a lot more careful then I think they are being.

Actually you can have genetic health problems pop up out of the blue, sporadic gene mutations do occur, Some of them can then be passed onto children, and others only effect the person or animal it occurs in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.