Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. We took Rocky to the vet to have him checked out after we got him from a breeder . He is almost 2. Our vet said he was in perfect health so we were so happy . Last week we noticed his eyes look different . I plan on taking him to a different vet ( more expensive ) however I was hoping to get help from other opinions on this forum. ?????? thank you so much for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
Is the photo taken in natural light or with a flash? Are you seeing the difference with your own two eyes or just going by photograph?

Just asking, as I once went into a panic thinking my dog was loosing teeth and had my husband phone the vet and make an appointment only to realize his gums flopped over them sometimes.

Photo's sometimes lie, and sometimes they reveal. The pupils should reflect light, not reflecting light would be a 'phone the vet' issue.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I would take him to the vet. From the photos it's looks as if he is going blind in that eye or as something wrong with them. A vet check is a must.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Yes, ditto. I was just checking to see if it was a flash or camera angle effect. Looks like the answer is nope, there is marked difference. Phone vet... sorry, hope it all works out.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
You definitely need to have him checked by a Vet. It almost looks like a cataract may be forming in the one eye, but that would be unusual, not impossible, in a 2 year old. Update us after your Vet visit.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Sorry, that's too bad. Did your Vet talk about treatment for him. Does it affect one eye or both? There is the traditional surgical cure, and there are drops that are fairly new, approved for use on dogs, not yet for people. The drops as I understand, will gradually dissolve the protein that causes the film or cloudiness of the lens. Certainly worth at least a conversation with your Vet.

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
that's a shame, but not catastrophic. Hang on, & see what the Opth says.

sorry to hear the Dx, @Aliboo. :(

however, don't lose hope - juvie cataracts are usually treatable, especially if caught quickly, & even if one eye is seriously affected, dogs can function well.

Cats are more visual than either dogs or humans; there are good scent workarounds for cueing a dog to their location in the house.
The biggest change is not letting a dog with limited vision run loose, outside a fence, & preferably when inside a fence, on familiar ground.

Dogs with poor vision can inadvertently get into trouble with other dogs, by not seeing visual signals - some cope very well, some struggle & become anxious / twitchy around "new" dogs.
If he has some well-known k9 buddies, they can really help his confidence & keep him happily engaged. :)

- terry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts