Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few weeks now Sawyer has been having some eye issues. Right now its green discharge and swollen/showing nictating membrane. It first started on his right eye, and got bad quickly over night. I also couldn't see any thing in eye that would be cuasing a problem. So we took him to the vets, they told us that he had conjunctivitis in his eye. They gave us some ointment to put in his eye, but after a few days I realized that with the way he was reacting getting the eye drops version of the medician would be better. So I used the eye drops on him for a week, there were a few days were I was only able to get one drop in (1 drop every 8 hours) during the day because he was so freaked out by it. It seemed to be working and his nictating membrane went down. But even after the week he still had green discharge coming from his eye. And now since yesterday his left eye is now irritated. Its not as bad as the right eye was the first time, but the nictating membrane is showing and irritated and it also has green discharge coming out. So I got some eye wash meds from petco. You can either use it to flush something out of the eye or use it for daily use in a smaller amount. I wanted to try that to see if just using that would help flush anything out if anything was in there. My thought was that I would try using the eye wash until Monday and see how his eyes were then, and if they were still the same then take him to vets. Im wondering if he has some kind of seasonal allergies.

Really the only problem is my mom. She told me today that she put the ointment that we got for his conjuctivitus in his left eye. Which wouldn't bother me so much except for the fact that she told me that she put it on her finger then put in his eye... Then when I told her that wasn't good to do at all because it can put something in his eye or cause a eye injury she passed it off as ok because "I cleaned my hands after"... :eyeroll:. There was a reason why the vet said to contact her if his conjuctivitus didn't go away after a week. Which is why I wanted to try the eye wash stuff first just in case he would be ok with that, and if not talk to the vets. But according to my mom, I should just continue to use the stuff the vets gave us. I told her about my plan to wait until Monday but her response was that if it doesn't work that I should just use the left over medication.
But that's not fare to sawyer at all, his eyes are itchy and probably don't feel that good. Besides what is the medicine going to do if it didn't get rid of it the first time. And if it is allergies he may need something completely different to help him. I also feel really bad because it really stresses him out when I have to put the drops in his eyes, it freaks him out to much, he even growls and whines a bit when I do it. (he's fine after the fact and acts like it never happened but still)

Anyways what do you guys think? Do you agree that I should use the eye wash until Monday and take him to vets if his eyes aren't better?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
The green means infection. You need to get the meds in the eyes. The stuff in the tube you should not touch. You just squeeze about 1/2 inch out and open the eye and drop the ointment in the eye then close the eye and rub a little to make sure it gets all over the eye.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice,
ill try that method with him, hopefully it wont be as stressfull for him and be quicker.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
There is some disagreement on whether or not conjunctivitis is contagious among dogs, among dogs and people, or not contagious. Merlin had a bout of conjunctivitis last year and it only took one round of eye drops for him to get over it. I took all of his toys, plush and otherwise, and washed them just in case. You definitely need to treat his left eye since it has green discharge. When Merlin had it, I treated both eyes, but I think he had it in both eyes.
Good luck! Eye drops and eye ointment can be extremely frustrating if you haven't conditioned your dog to getting them (which I hadn't).

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Try giving him really high value treats after putting the ointment in his eye. It's what I had to start doing when I had to give Zody a liquid antibiotic. He hated the taste and the first time I gave it to him he fought me a little bit. If I had continued to just give him the medicine it would have gotten worse, the treats had him putting up with it. He was never happy about it but he didn't struggle.

Reactions: CadenceDiscordia
1 - 5 of 5 Posts