Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My dog woke up this morning with lots of gunky mucus on her one eye.When I looked at her eye more closely later in the day it looked like she had some red rashy irritation below and above her eyelids including the rim. She does not seem to be itching or rubbing her face and it does not really seem to be phasing her. I believe this may be related to a potential pesticide she may have rubbed her face on in the community or conjunctivitis.
I have scheduled a vet appointment for 4 days from now, but was hoping someone could maybe help me gauge the urgency through a few pictures.

She is a 10 month old Maltese and her health, otherwise seems completely fine and normal.

I appreciate any and all help,

FotiK9

·
Super Moderator
5,569 Posts
Hi and welcome.

I actually think eyes are not something to take chances with. If I were you, I'd try to bring forward the vet appointment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome.

I actually think eyes are not something to take chances with. If I were you, I'd try to bring forward the vet appointment.
Hello and thank you for the welcome,

They had nothing else available sooner, and I was lucky enough that someone canceled 4 days from now. So you are this is something urgent enough to think about running over to an emergency clinic and getting it addressed right away?

Thank you for the feedback

·
Super Moderator
5,569 Posts
Honestly, I don't know - probably not, as long as they don't get worse. Boil and cool some water and use that to bathe them meantime.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Eyes are nothing to fool around with. If there is no improvement in 24 hrs, perhaps you can locate an emergency vet.
Hard to see from the pictures, but is there swelling above the eye? If so, I would go for the E-vet asap.
Note: I am worrier when it comes to my own dogs. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Buzzu2,

There was barely any swelling, more so irritated looking skin. Originally when I saw it I thought her eye had got cut and was bleeding, but I didn’t see her rubbing at them at all. As of right now even the irritated rashy looking skin has calmed down and she acting like her normal healthy self. I will be keeping a close eye on it the next couple of days and will rush to the emergency vet if it worsens again. She does rub her face a lot in the grass and even on pavement if I give her the chance before I catch her and tell her not to (she doesn’t spray so much to mark her territory, but rather does the rubbing). I am hoping it is just irritation from her doing that, and not something more serious. Her actual eye ball looks good as well, the whites and the pupil.

Thank you for your response!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Hi Buzzu2,

There was barely any swelling, more so irritated looking skin. Originally when I saw it I thought her eye had got cut and was bleeding, but I didn’t see her rubbing at them at all. As of right now even the irritated rashy looking skin has calmed down and she acting like her normal healthy self. I will be keeping a close eye on it the next couple of days and will rush to the emergency vet if it worsens again. She does rub her face a lot in the grass and even on pavement if I give her the chance before I catch her and tell her not to (she doesn’t spray so much to mark her territory, but rather does the rubbing). I am hoping it is just irritation from her doing that, and not something more serious. Her actual eye ball looks good as well, the whites and the pupil.

Thank you for your response!
Hopefully she will get better on her own, so please keep us posted on her progress. She might just gotten a speck of grass in her eye. Best of luck to you both! 🤞

·
Registered
843 Posts
Was she bathed recently? Maltese eyes are a little bulgey which makes them susceptible to injury. Sometimes there is a scratch on the eye that can only be seen when the eye is stained by your vet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts