Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I adopted my dog Pixel back in September. When we got her she had a near constant build up of green mucus in the corner of her eyes.

It cleared up on it's own after 4 weeks. Recently I switched her food over to Orijen, a high-proten dry food, and noticed that within days the mucus was back. At the shelter prior to adoption she was getting a raw meat diet of ground beef. We've had her on Dog Lover's Gold (their grain-free line) since we adopted her.

Could this eye mucus build up be signalling too much protein?? In which case it's probably best that I put her back on DLG?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Green eye gunk signals infection. Anything with the eyes needs a vet visit. I have never heard of this being food related. It usually comes from contact with other dogs that have this condition. It is contagious.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
No one here can tell you what is causing the problem or whether it's contagious. C

Take your dog to the vet for a diagnosis. Eye problems should never be ignored or left to clear up on their own.
I only said that to make sure the dog was not allowed near other dogs until it was seen by a vet in case it was conjunctivitis.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I haven't taken her in but did message the vet. Vet doesn't seem too concerned. He saw her right after the shelter and so knew what I meant by the gunk (as it's exactly the same). She doesn't seem at all bothered by it other then wiping it away with her paw after waking up, so he said to wipe her eyes with cotton pads soaked in saline solution/warm salt-water solution and if no improvement after a few days to bring her in.

The food switches must just be a weird coincidence!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dog had green eye mucus when I gave her some tuna. I have 2 cats so I'd give her maybe 1/2 tsp 1 or 2x a week, but it was only for 2wks & the mucus was basically instant. Soon as i stopped, no more mucus.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Eye goobers wouldn't be from protein amount, but could be an allergy to something either in the food, or even environmental. We have one who over the last month developed big goopy eye goobers, along with licking the bottoms of his feet. I suspected something environmental, so I put him on bee pollen as an anithistamine. All symptoms went away and have stayed away as long as he stays on it.

You could take a trip to the vet, and let them do an allergy test to determine if it's something involving food, or if it's environmental.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts