Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a dog that isn't really a "cold weather" breed, but that seems to ignore extreme weather conditions and wants to be outside no matter what?

Our girl is a terrier mix. She has Jindo/Canaan traits, but is just slightly larger than a Jack Russell. Our routine includes an afternoon walk (approx 1/2 mile) when I get home from work.

Yesterday, we had extreme cold with wind chill in the negative teens. I took her out for just a potty break, but she was insistently pulling and wanting to head off on our normal route. We did take her to the local big box pet store so she could get a bit of exercise in safe temperatures, but she still wanted to go for that walk when we went out for a later potty break back at home.

We have been working on acclimating her to boots, and a jacket is on the way, but she is quite insistent on her routine. I know that pet owners are always reminded "If it's too cold for you, it's too cold for them", but I'm wondering if some dogs would actually stay out voluntarily in conditions that would harm them?

It was a bit warmer with no wind today, so we did take our normal walk with the boots on, and no jacket, but she did not poop as usual. This was the first time out of the house with the boots, and while I think she tolerated them very well, because she LOVES her walks, I think they were still a distraction. After we got back home, we took the boots off, and I took her back outside briefly and then she pooped per her normal afternoon pattern.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Probably going to take awhile for her to get used to the boots. Keep walking her with them on, she will eventually get to where she is not even noticing them. She certainly needs them, if she is walking in sub-zero temps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts