Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I will be moving out for university and was wondering if anyone on this forum has experienced keeping dogs while taking classes. Some threads on this site and other sites have very positive views while others will all say it's not possible. I know apartment hunting will be difficult but I know of some dog friendly ones in the area.
Right now I have a greyhound (very lazy dogs) who sleeps all day in her bed and never barks. She's very friendly. I pay for her food and anything she needs. I've taken a training course and have books, I'm a responsible owner and I'm not a party/club person or anything like that. Some people have suggested adopting a second, older dog to keep her company.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I would see if you can find housing for you and your current dog first, then see if it's possible/realistic for you to take on a second.

It all depends - dogs take time and college can be busy between classes, working, homework, group projects, clubs, and a social life. I'd definitely wait until you've been at school for a semester or a year and see how you feel then.

Also, if you're able to make time for your current dog you may find she doesn't need or want another dog to keep her company anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree that you should wait a semester and get settled in first. If you feel like it's something you want to do after that, then go for it! Me and my boyfriend adopted a pup a few months ago. We both work full time and I take classes full time on top of that. However we always make sure that our dog Loki gets everything he needs! If it means making arrangements to come home on break to take him on a walk, or not going out at night, we would do anything for him! It's definitely possible if you are dedicated.

·
Registered
900 Posts
It is very possible to have a dog and be in school, as long as you can find a place that accepts pets or stay living at home and commute to school. I went to school full-time and had 6 dogs, ended up with 2 kittens half-way through school and had to bottle feed one kitten, and still fostered for the dog rescue. It was tough, I was sleep-deprived, and stressed, but made it through. I did sleep for about a month straight after I was done though, lol. I agree with the others on waiting to get a 2nd dog. Best to wait and see what you can handle with one first and take t from there.

·
Registered
880 Posts
At my school it was required to stay on campus the first year, if you weren't an in-state student. You could circumvent this rule by paying an extra fee.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Right now I have a greyhound (very lazy dogs) who sleeps all day in her bed and never barks. She's very friendly. I pay for her food and anything she needs. I've taken a training course and have books, I'm a responsible owner and I'm not a party/club person or anything like that. Some people have suggested adopting a second, older dog to keep her company.
Hi Alice,

It sounds like you're considering taking the family greyhound to college with you, and that might work out well for you since you and she have already got a rhythm going. A couple of questions to consider:

a) Are you the only family member who takes her outside, walks her, and exercises her? If you are living by yourself at college, you're not going to have anyone else in the family to rely on. You'll have to carefully consider your study/work hours so that you can manage your schedule and hers as well.

b) Does she do well by herself alone at home? Does she have any issues with separation anxiety?

In all honesty, while I think it's feasible for you to take your greyhound to college, I think adopting a second dog now would NOT be a good idea for your freshman year at college.

Living alone for the first time and entering a university are both HUGE steps, which can be made much more complicated by the addition of a new dog. You have many years of dog ownership ahead of you. Don't rush yourself to add a new responsibility to your life when there are so many adjustments for you to make in your own life. Good luck!

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I did it in my 4th year of school. I also moved to be immediately beside but not on campus (most residences don't allow pets). I had a friend take her out when I had too many classes (typical for my program is to get 8:30am - 10PM of classes and labs...) and mostly didn't sleep. My grades did suffer but I managed to pass. I also had a ton of training and got her during the summer, so we had 4 months to work on a BUNCH of issues-I spent maybe 4-5 hours a day that summer in walks and another 2-3 in research, plus a full time job. I got lucky, she was able to handle an 8 hour day and was house trained when I got her-most dogs don't have those things, and teaching it can take 6 months on the easier side for reliable behaviours. I also have allergies, which meant extra cleaning (maybe 2 hours daily). I didn't spend time on myself; I got minimal sleep. I only finished about half my assignments. I would have liked sleep.

I mean I passed, and it worked out okay, but it depends on what you care about and what you'd rather dedicate yourself to/what situations your dog is able to handle.

2 years later, I ended up with a second dog. Due to other reasons I had to quit my job-someone else is footing his (enormous) vet bills. Right now, with no work in an apartment, I'm doing 8-10 walks daily (since they can't be taken out together-and most dogs need some 1-on-1 time anyways, so that's not a terrible number) and once I get a job I'm not sure I can live here anymore, or keep him (it was a temporary arrangement to start with). We're working on house training and impulse control-he's 5 and was having daily accidents before moving in with me, sometimes twice a day. Since then, I've been lucky and he's had accidents mostly 2-3 times weekly even with VERY careful management. I think he might have a UTI, since he's had 3 accidents today (2 in his crate which is abnormal for him, though we just moved so that takes it toll too). I would highly recommend not getting a second dog unless you are certain you don't really care about your degree-if he gets sick, I need to take time off work to take him to the vet (if I had my old job still) and at 30 minutes a walk (including elevator time and bundling up for the weather) x 2 dogs x 3-5 times daily you're running out of hours to do anything, let alone sleep or school.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts