Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my dog, Pax is somewhat insecure by nature. I've done extensive socialization from the time he was 10 weeks old and continue to expose him as much as possible. He has been well trained since then, too and was CGC certified at 1 year. Around 6 months, he began ducking away from strangers petting him and simultaneously developed an intense fear of children. He has had resource guarding since I brought him home at ten weeks. The first night, he reacted similar to this puppy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIt_yj893qU It's taken a long time to come to the conclusion it may be thyroid or another sort of hormonal imbalance. Until I get a complete thyroid panel, I want to try other options to help him out. I just bought a Comfort Zone collar with Adaptil in it and am hoping it will help him somewhat. He's mostly okay with his food regarding people (totally fine with me), and I don't let him go near strange dogs if food or toys are involved. We practice daily with my roommate's dog to help him relax when another dog + resources are involved (only in controlled settings). He is also reactive randomly. I wouldn't call him a reactive dog in general, only about 5% of the time will he react, but when he does, I know he would attack if I wasn't controlling him. It will be people in the dark, SOMETIMES dogs while hiking if he's in a tight space, people wearing something strange, and VERY reactive behind the fence in the yard. He also walks with his head low, and if we're in a new place, I have to do a short, high energy focus exercise because he is wont to shut down and disengage.

Anyway, my main point is has anyone had a dog similar to mine? What has helped? Has anyone used the adaptil collar and had any success?

Thanks!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a silver bullet, but it works well in conjunction with other initiatives like behavior modification and medication. Try it for a month and see what you notice.
That's what I was hoping. I do a LOT of behavior modification training, and while I don't want to overdo it, I work on it almost daily. I feel like I'm doing all I can as far as training, so I'm hoping a combination of other things may help.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I find that it works well in conjunction with a Thundershirt. You can also try non-medicinal supplements like Melatonin and Zylkene (sold at vets) to take more of the edge off. Probably best to try these things one at a time, so you can observe whether they have an effect or not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know people have had some moderate success with it, so hopefully that with help. I do highly recommend Composure, it works great for my dog, and Zylkene is also a good option (though tends to be pricey).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.