Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! For those whose dogs have been diagnosed with BVS, how often does your dog throw up bile? Mine does an early morning throw up once or twice a month if I sleep in a bit or if he doesn't get his usual amount of snacks before bedtime.

· Registered
4 Posts
One of my previous dogs would occasionally - to - regularly do an early morning bile barf. Can't really remember the exact frequency, but what we ended up doing after the usual cookie or two at bedtime didn't seem to really help the problem, was to portion out his breakfast at bedtime & give him about 1/3 of it as a bedtime 'snack'. This way he had enough food in his stomach to keep the bile at bay overnight, but he wasn't getting a lot of extra calories above & beyond his daily requirement.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have personal experience but carbohydrates keep the tummy fuller for longer and give the digestive system something to work on, so something like potato or rice at bed time might help.
Thank you! I will try to add carbs to his bedtime snack. Currently, I am just giving him his usual kibble but in a smaller amount. Thanks again!

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of my previous dogs would occasionally - to - regularly do an early morning bile barf. Can't really remember the exact frequency, but what we ended up doing after the usual cookie or two at bedtime didn't seem to really help the problem, was to portion out his breakfast at bedtime & give him about 1/3 of it as a bedtime 'snack'. This way he had enough food in his stomach to keep the bile at bay overnight, but he wasn't getting a lot of extra calories above & beyond his daily requirement.
I am sure my boy would approve of that bedtime cookie! Thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts