Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My gf owns a Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen which is approaching 1 and a half years old. She walks her daily at the local forest.

I am planning to get back into a basic exercise regime, mostly for the purpose of general health and fitness (not training for a marathon or anything like that). I have never been a fan of running but I was previously a keen mountain biker.

Bearing in mind that at time of writing I am fairly unfit (probably manage 5-7 miles tops, bit further if it's flat), would a bike ride which took the dog along be too much? I am very aware that the dogs legs are obviously a lot smaller than mine, and also a dog doesn't have the luxury of "coasting" downhill.

There will, of course, be times when the dog is a lot better than me, waiting (hopefully) at the top of a hill while I struggle/walk up.

What would be a fair level to expect of the dog? and are there any tips for cycling with a dog - bit worried about it running under the wheels!

Many thanks,

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think that if both of you start slow and build up your stamina then it's okay. Don't expect him to do 5-7 miles right off the bat if he's not used to it. Try 2 miles at first and slowly go further every week or so. I'm sure the PBGV would love to go as long as possible, but that doesn't mean he should right away.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Keep an eye on him. First, you have to train him to run beside your bike. Start out by walking the bike and train him to pace along beside it. This will be a good enough work out for you initially. Next step is to get him beside the bike with you on it. You might want to use a smaller bike and walk the bike while on the seat. When you are ready to transition to the big bike, remember to take it slow. It is a training session, not an exercise session.

Ultimately, you will probably run the dog part way, then carry him, so get a dog carrier that you can wear. If you try to do too much, the dog will wear his nails too short and hurt his pads on the pavement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts