Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got 1 1/2yr old Chorkie, he weighs about 8lbs. I've never had a dog this small before, so not sure about exercise needs. I feel like he's getting a lot of exercise just following me around the house. H e never lets me out of his sight and I rarely sit down when I'm home. I'm gone for about 6 hours a day and during that time he's pretty sedentary. Husband works from home and Levi just pretty much sits with him all day. However, in the 2 hours between me getting up and leaving for work, he follows me constantly and I'm always moving, then when I get home I'm up cooking, cleaning etc for another 2 the 3 hours before I settle in and read for the evening. Do you still think Levi needs additional walks? He doesn't really seem to enjoy them and often seems reluctant to go even though he doesn't fight or pull on the leash when I do take him on one. My last dog, all you had to say was "walk" and she would start dancing around and get all excited. Another thing, he doesn't play. Won't chase a ball or toy, or play tug, so that's out for exercise.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
All dogs need about the same kind of exercise. The only real difference is how much they need to be happy/calm and how long they can go. Of coarse breed is a factor and so is the individual dog.
How long have you had him? It sounds like he's a relatively mellow dog to begin with. I think a walk once a day or every other day would be good. Since he's not really a toy dog, maybe try a treat dispensing toy/ball. It will give him some mental stimulation and if you get one that rolls around he will be walking around a bit more, if its something that he'd be interested in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've only had him about a month and yes he is a very chilled out dog. My husband's nickname for him is The Chillmeister. Part of the reason I think he doesn't play is that we got him from a rescue who got him from a hoarder--- so thinking that toys were not something he had as a puppy, so he doesn't really know what to do with them. The foster mom said that he played with the other dogs at her house, but not really with toys. He's an only dog and we live out in the country so not much chance for interaction with other dogs. Do have a cousin who has a teacup Chorkie and we've been meaning to get the dogs together for a play date.

I've been thinking about getting him a food puzzle, to see if that would make him more interested.

He seems pretty happy and like I said he's definitely calm, so maybe I'm worrying about nothing. He seems to be the happiest when I finally do sit down and he can cuddle in my lap.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hi Shannon,

We've got a one-year old Yorkie and a 4-month old Morkie and they pretty much get all of their exercise indoors. Its much too hot here in Texas to take them outdoors too often during the day. The Morkie loves to swim but the Yorkie hates it--go figure! LOL They pretty much chase one another around constantly, in fact I have to separate them from time-to-time because the older one just looks shell shocked after a bit and needs a break. Before we got the younger one, I was concerned that the Yorkie was becoming a couch potato and searched all over the place for ways to keep him active. We tried toys that we could add treats to that he would have to figure out - he hated them. We tried soft toys that had smaller toys inside that he would have to figure out--he hated them. He loved playing ball but wouldn't bring it back and I'm too old to fetch them. The reason we got the puppy was to give the older dog a playmate and to keep him young and active. Have you considered getting your dog a puppy?? LOL

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Every dog is different, but ours goes for a walk with me every morning for 20 to 30 minutes, then she is pretty much uninterested in going out except as necessary to do what she needs to outside for the rest of the day. For her its enough plus after early morning its too hot for her outside.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a 10lb chi/poodle mix.

She keeps right up with my husky. We go on walks..right now around 1-2 miles. have done longer in the past. She used to run with me.

Plus she gets very active playtime.

It is definitely depends on the dog and you should build up activity slowly. But even little dogs can be very active!

·
Registered
434 Posts
My pups would die on that walk!! LOL In fact, during the hottest parts of the summer, when I do take mine to the park, I take them in their stroller because the pavement is enough to melt their pads completely. Its very sad. I've seen other dogs with shoes on, but the stroller works for us. I get them out on the grass and they love it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My pups would die on that walk!! LOL In fact, during the hottest parts of the summer, when I do take mine to the park, I take them in their stroller because the pavement is enough to melt their pads completely. Its very sad. I've seen other dogs with shoes on, but the stroller works for us. I get them out on the grass and they love it.
lol yeah I used to live in El Paso, TX. We used to walk early mornings or late in the evening when it cooled down. I was lucky we had tons of parks in our little neighborhood.

Even here in NY it is way too hot to walk most days during the summer except mornings/night.

Reactions: McCourt

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hi,

However, in the 2 hours between me getting up and leaving for work, he follows me constantly and I'm always moving, then when I get home I'm up cooking, cleaning etc for another 2 the 3 hours...Do you still think Levi needs additional walks? He doesn't really seem to enjoy them and often seems reluctant to go even though he doesn't fight or pull on the leash when I do take him on one.
I think yes, he does need an additional walk.

Part of the purpose of walking a dog is to give them actual exercise. Part of the purpose of walking a dog is how it affects their mind. The act of 'traveling someplace' (like patrolling territory, finding new hunting grounds, etc) is deeply wired into the brains of all dogs. For them walking is kind of like doing Yoga.

You said your dog was a rescue from a hoarder. Walking might be unfamiliar for him, enough that the unfamiliarity right now is outbalancing the good stuff the walk gives your dog. This is best dealt with by calmly but purposefully still going for short walks, and giving positive rewards (treats).

Another reason for reluctance could be environmental...it's too cold or too hot. A third could be unresolved trauma/issues....maybe he only got taken outside when he was leaving his first home, and then taken outside again leaving the foster home, so he suspects every time he goes out he might not come back. Again this association is best dealt with through repetition and reward.

Regarding toys, have you tried squeaky toys? Some dogs react more to them, but some dogs just aren't interested in toys. A ball that has treats fall out is good, or one of those you set on the floor and the dog opens little doors to get treats is also good. However, with the right kind of stimulation, playing with toys isn't really necessary. Try training your dog. Dogs get a lot of metal exercise from training and that's important. Don't stop with 'sit' and 'stay' start coming up with creative stuff, like 'reverse'

·
Banned
283 Posts
Hi,

I've got 1 1/2yr old Chorkie, he weighs about 8lbs. I've never had a dog this small before, so not sure about exercise needs. I feel like he's getting a lot of exercise just following me around the house. H e never lets me out of his sight and I rarely sit down when I'm home. I'm gone for about 6 hours a day and during that time he's pretty sedentary. Husband works from home and Levi just pretty much sits with him all day. However, in the 2 hours between me getting up and leaving for work, he follows me constantly and I'm always moving, then when I get home I'm up cooking, cleaning etc for another 2 the 3 hours before I settle in and read for the evening. Do you still think Levi needs additional walks? He doesn't really seem to enjoy them and often seems reluctant to go even though he doesn't fight or pull on the leash when I do take him on one. My last dog, all you had to say was "walk" and she would start dancing around and get all excited. Another thing, he doesn't play. Won't chase a ball or toy, or play tug, so that's out for exercise.
Do you ever let him off the lead/leash when you are out walking?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you ever let him off the lead/leash when you are out walking?
No, because we live out in the country with a lot of predators and he's very, very, fast. I know this because of watching him run in the back yard or when something spooks him in the house. If he ran off, I'd never catch him and he's not responding to come yet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think yes, he does need an additional walk.

You said your dog was a rescue from a hoarder. Walking might be unfamiliar for him, enough that the unfamiliarity right now is outbalancing the good stuff the walk gives your dog. This is best dealt with by calmly but purposefully still going for short walks, and giving positive rewards (treats).

Regarding toys, have you tried squeaky toys? Some dogs react more to them, but some dogs just aren't interested in toys. A ball that has treats fall out is good, or one of those you set on the floor and the dog opens little doors to get treats is also good. However, with the right kind of stimulation, playing with toys isn't really necessary. Try training your dog. Dogs get a lot of metal exercise from training and that's important. Don't stop with 'sit' and 'stay' start coming up with creative stuff, like 'reverse'
It's been a while since I posted this and Levi and I are taking a couple short walks everyday now and he is getting to where he likes them better. We took him to walk around a small lake in our area last week and even though he was very tentative, he eventually started sniffing around and seems to be enjoying himself.

As far as toys are concerned, we still haven't found anything that really seems to prick his interest. Even the treat filled toys. It's funny, he will often pick up one of his toys and drop it, then pick it up drop it again and then maybe run around it and bark a couple of times. Almost like he's trying to play with it, but expects it to do something in return. He still won't play with a toy WITH us. If we pick it up and try to shake it or throw it, he just looks at us like we've lost our minds (and with some of the silly stuff we do to try and get him to play, maybe we have:eek:) He will on occasion chase the dot from a laser pointer, but he loses interest pretty quickly.

We've got several other behavior issues we're dealing with. Have posted other threads about them here. Levi is making progress though. I read something recently that said that the amount of time it takes a dog, coming from a bad situation, to adjust can be equal to the amount he was in the bad situation. We think Levi was with the hoarder anywhere from 1 to 1 1/2yrs, and he's only been with us for 3 months, so we're just going to be patient and continue to show him love and that our home is a safe place.

Thanks for your advice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts