Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm loving the idea of using an amateur drone in an open area and flying it around so that my pup will chase after it. I get tired of having to throw a ball and sometimes I'm really feeling like I'd rather sit on a lounge chair with a remote control giving my dog exercise via the drone.

Has anyone done this? I read that there are specific drones that would be safe to use (if, for example, it accidentally flew too close to my pup...but it sounds like certain ones with plastic blades will be ok).

I have no idea if all dogs love this idea or not, but if say for example, the dog is not interested in chasing after it, then I think attaching a doggie toy might do the trick? Or not?

What do you think?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would be a tiny bit worried that it might translate to an increased interest in birds, planes, etc which could become problematic. If not, my thought based on my own dogs is that they would probably lose interest if they never caught it, and if they caught it, they would probably wreck it fast because pretty much all RC devices have lots of delicate parts not made for being crunched and shaken :). You might be able to attach a toy to it, but I'm not sure how that would affect speed and flyability.

When my dog Annie was younger, my nephews had hobby level RC cars that they would occasionally let her chase- we'd bungee a toy to them and drive them around. The faster of the two was quick enough that she couldn't catch it- until it wrecked, or had to turn, or got stuck, then she was dragging it all over. Pretty much every time Annie played with the cars, we ended up needing to make a trip to the hobby shop for parts, so it wasn't a good daily game :) . One of my APBTs was also very prey driven toward the cars themselves, but she would have destroyed them if she'd been able to catch them, so I never let her even chase.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I agree with what's been said. There is the chance that your dog could catch it and break it or possibly swallow something. Plus even plastic blades can hurt depending on size and speed.
Maybe you could look into flirt poles. You don't have to move around to much and its a good way to exercise your dog. Or you could teach him(?) to fetch and just bring it back to you.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'd not do it. If your dog likes to chase things try a flirt pole. It's a dog toy attached a cord attached to a pole, you can buy them ready made or make them out of. I've seen homemade ones made out of a dog toy attached to a horse lunge whip.

Basically the owner stands in one place moving around the flirt pole while the dog chases the dog attached to it. Since you can let the dog periodically catch the toy you keep the dog interested in the game, and while the dog gets worn out you don't. Another good thing about them is they can be used in relatively small spaces.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'd like to add that many dogs like to play because they get to spend time with their owners. Your dog might not understand that you are controlling the drone and therefore won't see it has interaction between you twom

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Along with what everyone else said I think you need to be careful what sort of things you teach your dog are toys/game for being chased and caught. A lot of people use drones in parks. You wouldn't want your dog going after a stranger's drone and running off or possibly breaking it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts