Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone
I have a 2ish year old mixed breed dog that is just over 100lbs named Hudson (supposed to be a dane/lab mix)

I adopted him a few months ago and normally walk him for a half hour or so in the mornings before work.

I live in Southern Ontario and now that it’s finally starting to get nice out I would like to go for longer walks in the morning, the route I want to take is just over 4km (or 2.5 miles) and would take us less than an hour to walk.
Would this be considered vigorous exercise? And do I have to worry about waiting to feed him breakfast after I get home? He normally eats right after his morning walk. (and will finish the whole bowl)

Thanks for any info, I’ve only owned small breeds previous to this that picked at their food throughout the day and I’m not sure if I’m worrying over nothing with this

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have a dane and a mixed breed with a deep chest so I have to be careful with feeding and exercise too. Freyja, my dane will be getting a pexy done at the end of the month.
I think vigorous exercise would be running and jumping. Or even longer walks in the heat. I wouldn't feed him as soon as he gets home, give him ten or fifteen minutes to cool down. I don't think the walk sounds too bad before feeding. How is he after his walks? Is he panting or calm? Don't let him gulp water, especially gulp water then eat. Maybe you can work up to it and see how he is going longer.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
368 Posts
So far as I know, there still has not been an identified specific cause of bloat in dogs (other than it happens mostly in large breed, deep-chested breeds, and usually in the evenings)... no relationship to diet or exercise has been proven, though many theories have been discussed. I do a lot of bloat surgeries, and though most have food or water in their stomachs, some do not (only gas). Why about 95% of bloats present in the evening must be partly due to owners being home then, but its probably more than that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's always ok after walks, not fully panting but definitely tired. I walk fairly quickly but he has long legs and keeps up no problem. We walk for an hour or more pretty regularly on weekends and is in pretty good shape. I will just let him cool down a bit before feeding/watering when we get home just to be cautious.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I think feeding after is a good idea, as mentioned with deep chested and or large dogs you have to be a bit cautious with their eating/drinking and exercise. It might be worth it to talk to your vet about bloat and its symptoms and preventives just to have the knoladge just in case.

Something to also keep a eye out, this is touching on what annageckos said, is gulping in both food and water. Keep an eye out if he gulps his water or food or if he eats to fast (somewhat dependent on how much you feed him).
I think for the most part, as others said, not feeding him right away after a long walk is good. Just keep a eye one him while he eats and drinks especially after the walk so you can get a good baseline to see if you need to make any changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts