Dog Forum banner

Excitement barking during play

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  CachetheBC 
#1 ·
I have had multiple dogs over the years, and never had one who liked to bark during times when they are excited... until now. Oakley has been with me about two months, (and is almost 8 months old) and though he rarely barks at other times, he has suddenly started barking during play - it can happen when I am teaching him a new skill or when he is trying to get Cache to play with him. While I am thrilled that he is so happy he wants to tell the world about it, the 'world' may not appreciate hearing what he has to say.
I don't want to dampen his enthusiasm for learning or play by 'correcting' the barking, but I don't want the barking to become a regular 'thing' either.
Would like to hear how others may have dealt with 'over arousal' - 'excitement' barking.
What worked for you?

#3 ·
Two things that might also help (though JoanneF's is my preferred method) are teaching a highly rewarded alternative and/or maybe a modulation. For example, he can bark but if he gives a playbow, he gets a treat or game while a bark gets nothing. The second is he still barks, but you clicker capture a "softer" bark (or a different sound) and cue it. High reward, nada for big/loud barks.

#4 ·
Welcome to the wonderful world of Aussies! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:
Barking is what they do and what they enjoy. For many barking is hard wired into their brains.
Aussies herd just for the fun of it; when many get the herd where they are supposed to be; some will stir them up all over again just for fun..

Apparently Oakley is showing off his Aussie side.

#5 ·
Apparently Oakley is showing off his Aussie side.
I am sure his 'Aussie side' is going to teach me a few things and keep me 'busy' for a while to come!!
But he is truly a wonderful soul, and pretty mellow most of the time, a real sweetheart!

#8 ·
In thinking about it, I do get a sense that Oakley's barking may be driven, at least in part, by 'frustration', especially when directed at Cache (who doesn't always grant his wish to be played with), and the more Cache turns away and ignores him, ( 'Not now!' signals that Oakley has yet to figure out and to 'listen' to) the more he barks.

An Expert Reveals What "Frustration Barking" Is and How To STOP It (iheartdogs.com)

#9 ·
My pup sometimes barks when he plays. Not at other dogs, but when wanting to chase something such as my shovel, water hose output, rake or a toy he's really excited about. I think my dogs have always barked in exitement, so it just might be certain breeds (especially high prey driven ones that love to chase things).

#10 ·
I have known people who got great results with a dog who barked during play (or some other thing, like agility runs) by training the dog a "whisper" cue. The dog then does a tiny little soft sound instead of a bark. Train this as if it were a trick or behavior, (capturing it works, and you can also train it by making the sound yourself and sometimes the dog will reply in kind) and then cue it when the dog starts barking.
Not only does it work, but it is a great show-off (and we all like that kind of thing every now and then...) when the dog barks and you say "whisper" and the dog changes to a tiny little woof. !

#11 ·
A bit of an update - Oakley's barking when playing has diminished a lot. Not going to imply that he 'grew out of it', but as he has settled in, grown and developed/gained more confidence and self control/patience he doesn't bark near as much, nor when he does bark is it with that ear-piercing high pitch. He does however bark with the high pitched 'yip' when gets excited - especially when doing his favorite trick - spin and twist - or 'frustrated' when asked to repeat a behavior 'one too many times' (in his opinion) as if to say 'Hey, I did it, now pay up!', then follows it up with a sit and looking at me, giving me his best 'puppy' face - ears up, slight tilt to his head as if he is asking 'How about this?'
I have been careful not to reward the behavior when he does bark, and to reward him when does it (when asked for it again) without barking. It's a process, he is learning, these things take time. I do adore his enthusiasm, learning should be fun, (teaching him certainly is!) and I certainly don't want to diminish that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.