Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend and I adopted a rescue dog three months ago. We mainly got her as a companion for our one year old bulldog. We’re not sure of her exact breed, but she is definitely part, if not mainly, Dachshund and approximately 3-4 years old. When we first picked her up, she was understandably a little timid, but in no time, she was part of the family. She gets along with her new brother famously - they play and cuddle together constantly. Here’s the problem: she whines constantly on car rides and walks (as well as pulling on the leash like she’s in a race). It doesn’t appear to be an anxious whine because she starts to do it when she knows we’re about to go for a car ride or walk and starts jumping up and down joyously. It appears to be a happy whining. Here’s the issue – I can’t stand it! It is loud and it doesn’t stop! I will drive with her for 30 minutes in the car and by the end of it, God forgive me, I want to strangle her! I have tried ignoring her; I have tried being stern with her and saying “no” and tapping her; I have tried soothing her; I have tried water in a spray bottle; I have tried EVERYTHING! Other than the whining issues, she’s a sweetheart! She just wants to be a little shadow and companion to everyone. She cuddles on top of me and licks my face and is constantly wagging her tail. It’s just the whining!!!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?? I am at my wit’s end! Thank you in advance for your replies.

·
Banned
275 Posts
I know what you're talking about, and it is annoying! Winston whines when he's impatient or worried, but it isn't nonstop, and I can usually "talk him down" at least a little.

Two things that I can think of that might help are:
1. Giving her a high value item to chew on or keep her occupied while in the car.
2. Lots and lots of exercise and exposure to new things that will wear her out both physically and mentally.

When Winston was younger, we'd take him on shopping outings. We'd hit Tractor Supply, PetCo, and PetSmart (with a 45 minute drive in between because Tractor Supply is in a different town than the other two). He'd start out the day whining and excited, but as the day progressed, with each store we went to, he got quieter and quieter. By the end of it all he was zonked out asleep and usually came home and slept the rest of the night too.

Tired dog = quiet dog. LOL.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
What about a kong stuffed with treats? Additionally, my husband has driven me around while I clicked and treated for calm and quiet behavior. It really only took a couple of trips into town, maybe 20 minutes each way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.