Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a pit bull mix, not neutered, about 8 months old.
Even after hours of exercise outside the dog will still whine. He will whine for hours. He will whine when he's hungry, when he wants to go out, or if someone leaves. Many times it appears he does it without reason too.

When he was potty training my friend would let him out every time he whined. I'm wondering if this has conditioned him to think whining means immediate attention?

Shes tried everything to get him to stop. This has been going on for months. Positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement... Scolding him when he whines, giving him treats for being quiet. She would also try to redirect his attention, but he will whine after play is done. She ignores him now but he will go for hours.

This is a daily occurance and happens multiple times a day. He's at least whining 1/4 of the day. Like I said, even with exercise and mental stimulation he will still do it. Many times you can't just ignore it because he's loud and it can anger the neighbors. I've suggested training him with methods used to stop barking. Squirt with water, shake coins etc.

It seems he has separation anxiety and that seems to get it going, but even when everyone is home he will do it.
She is at her wits end. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response!

I forgot to mention, he is clicker trained. He knows more than a dozen tricks and commands. She's able to clearly communicate with him, yet he still had that problem. The clicker meant nothing when it came to whining.

She actually tried the spray bottle and it has worked wonders! It's the only thing that worked to get rid of that behavior.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts