Dog Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an 8 month old black lab mix we rescued. Everything was going fine until about 6 weeks ago. She just started drinking water excessively and urinating. Basically a chicken or the egg syndrome. We have gone to the vet quite a bit. Urine samples and fecal samples. No UTI or diabetes. Vet put her on Prozac thinking it may be behavioral. She does have anxiety problems which seemed to start around July 4th. We were prepared for the 4th but not the days after. We stop giving her water at 6 PM in hopes she stays dry in her crate at night. She searches for water at times. We give her Purina Proplan dry dog food.

Has anybody else heard of this issue or had it with puppies out of the blue? The previous day we got her out of her crate and she was dry. This morning half her one side was wet. Seems to happen more when she sleeps ot naps. Course we can control when she is up by taking her out alot. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,044 Posts
Please don't withhold water, apart from possibly making her more desperate to drink when she does have it, withholding it could harm her health.

Has your vet tested for Addison's?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to have to ask them. So far this morning since 7AM (9:30AM now) she has consumed approximately 30 ounces of water. I mentioned to the vet we stop giving her water at 6PM and she didn't say anything negative.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our vet is pretty thorough. We've done quite a bit of testing. She said she felt it was more psycho-something. I'm guessing they know what their doing. I will double check though.

I just filled her water up and at least she left water in her dish. But we've been outside 3 to 4 times already since 7AM (10AM now). Our vet again checked for a UTI (no UTI) and commented that the color of her urine showed her kidneys were functioning okay. She mentioned a slightly elevated white cell count but nothing to be alarmed about.

Thank you all for answers and suggestions. Ty appreciate it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Perhaps consider trying her on a different brand of dog food?
And soaking it for 5 or 10 minutes in warm water before giving it to her.

I don't feed Purina but in conversation with other dogs owners, they have said Purina has made changes to their recipes and for many of their dogs those changes are not going over well.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'm going to have to ask them. So far this morning since 7AM (9:30AM now) she has consumed approximately 30 ounces of water. I mentioned to the vet we stop giving her water at 6PM and she didn't say anything negative.
Please don't withhold water from your dog. This could cause more problems than you already have and is not nice to the dog, either, if she is thirsty. Whether or not your vet mentioned doesn't mean it is not a bad thing to do to her.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps consider trying her on a different brand of dog food?
And soaking it for 5 or 10 minutes in warm water before giving it to her.

I don't feed Purina but in conversation with other dogs owners, they have said Purina has made changes to their recipes and for many of their dogs those changes are not going over well.

Just a thought.
We originally had her on Hills from our vet but that caused issues with her stools. We've had her on Purina for quite awhile but that really doesn't mean anything. Think I may try this next. Thank you.
We have an 8 month old black lab mix we rescued. Everything was going fine until about 6 weeks ago. She just started drinking water excessively and urinating. Basically a chicken or the egg syndrome. We have gone to the vet quite a bit. Urine samples and fecal samples. No UTI or diabetes. Vet put her on Prozac thinking it may be behavioral. She does have anxiety problems which seemed to start around July 4th. We were prepared for the 4th but not the days after. We stop giving her water at 6 PM in hopes she stays dry in her crate at night. She searches for water at times. We give her Purina Proplan dry dog food.

Has anybody else heard of this issue or had it with puppies out of the blue? The previous day we got her out of her crate and she was dry. This morning half her one side was wet. Seems to happen more when she sleeps ot naps. Course we can control when she is up by taking her out alot. Thanks.
And what we've been doing is giving her 10 to 15 ounces of water every two hours. We took her to a dog wash station earlier today for a bath. Course she had anxiety so we tried to be reassuring as possible. Immediately after taking her put of the dog bath she peed on the floor. We got her home, gave her water, and she took a nap. While sleeping she peed on her bed. We're also hoping maybe it's something she may grow out of.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
It would be nice if she can just grow out of it, but if this were my dog I would be getting all of the tests necessary to pin down what is causing this, because I think it is far more likely to be a medical problem.

I also think putting a puppy on Prozac is a really bad idea.
Even if it is determined that this is behavioral, giving the dog drugs should be the very last resort, not the first thing to try. It would be like just drugging a child instead of even trying to find out what the kid might be thinking or feeling that might have a solution.

If this is behavioral, and you won't know that until all of the tests have been done to find out if it is something medical, then there are many things you can do to address the issue with this dog without using drugs, and I would highly recommend that you go that route.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Have you ever just had the water bowl down all the time? Does she drink the whole thing at once? If the bowl is being removed after it's empty, maybe she is just trying to get it all in while she can?

It's like how you train a pup to eat his dinner so they eat it all and at a certain time. With water you want them to have access 24/7.

If she drinks it all, just try leaving it down and refill whenever later. It might take a while for her to get the water will be available all the time, but eventually she should get it.

·
Registered
74 Posts

[/QUOTE]
Hello,
I had a dog with the same exact symptoms. He had Diabetes Insipidus (Water Diabetes). Not many people have heard of it. Have your vet check for it. It's a treatable condition. If that's what it is, and treated, he will live a long normal life. It's not the same as Sugar Diabetes.
Check out this link: Water Diabetes in Dogs | PetMD
Good Luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Could it be possible your dog is getting too much salt from a source like it’s food, treats, etc. Dogs shouldn’t have salt of any kind they don’t need it. I make my dog’s food and always have… he gets meat, vegetables, barley or rice and occasionally some oatmeal mixed in. None of that has any sodium whatsoever. Neither do his treats. You might want to check that out. Most people really have no idea what’s in kibble or store-bought dog treats.
As for the constant urination, he’s going to urinate a lot because he’s drinking a lot of water and it has to go somewhere. Try making him simmered chicken breast with some rice, carrots, spinach, zucchini or any mixture of two or three vegetables. Try this for three or four days and see what happens. Don’t change his food completely all of a sudden. Mix a little of his regular food in with the homemade mixture then back off the kibble slightly each time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you ever just had the water bowl down all the time? Does she drink the whole thing at once? If the bowl is being removed after it's empty, maybe she is just trying to get it all in while she can?

It's like how you train a pup to eat his dinner so they eat it all and at a certain time. With water you want them to have access 24/7.

If she drinks it all, just try leaving it down and refill whenever later. It might take a while for her to get the water will be available all the time, but eventually she should get it.
We've tried a suggestion of adding water to her food and we are 3 days without having her pee during her sleep. Not sure how it affects her but I'll take any success at this point.

To clarify the "Prozac" it's actually Fluoxetine our vet prescribed. She has developed anxiety problems and our vet wanted to see if this helped. We are working on fixing the anxiety.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. So appreciate them.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
We've tried a suggestion of adding water to her food and we are 3 days without having her pee during her sleep. Not sure how it affects her but I'll take any success at this point.

To clarify the "Prozac" it's actually Fluoxetine our vet prescribed. She has developed anxiety problems and our vet wanted to see if this helped. We are working on fixing the anxiety.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. So appreciate them.
Good that you are seeing improvement!
But be aware that anxiety and nervousness are actually common side effects from fluoxetine, so if that has started or gotten worse since starting the meds, don't give them to the dog any more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts