Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
360 Posts
I agree the problem could be boredom. But, my wife and I are home all day, I am retired. It's not as if we are away a lot of the day.
How much of that time is spent 'entertaining' the dog, though? I know mine looks askance at me any time I want to watch a movie instead of playing with her - even if she does usually settle for cuddling instead.

· Registered
360 Posts
He does not bark at all during the walk. Also, he never barks in the night time (thank goodness)
His barking is predominantly attention seeking. He seeks a lot of attention. He wants to be together with either me of my wife all of the time. Unfortunately, this is not possible as we have things to get on with. Although, we are trying to give him more of our time.
I can sympathize. I learned how to play tug of war holding the toy with a foot while washing dishes because of mine. 😅

I've found that keeping a schedule that alternates 'play time' with 'quiet time' helps a lot. Play time usually means a walk, training or an active game. Quiet time is for her to play with her chewy toys or nap. Attention seeking (specifically barking or whining - I don't mind if she just checks in with me or follows me around as I do chores) during quiet time also results in a 'time out', in which she is ignored until quiet. Likewise, if she's being good during quiet time, I'll often offer a quick pat or other low-key attention.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts