Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chihuahua that barks at every sound she hears. We live in an apt and as we both work are only able to take her out twice a day.
I have tried the distraction technique. Filling a bowl with coins and shaking it. She will stop long enough to see what/where the sound is but once she determines it is nothing of warrant she is back to barking.
She also has an incessant habit of barking at visitors.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
is she coming with you to your workplace or is she alone all day? could it be that she doesn't get enough exercise and/or mental stimulation?
An adult dog should walk at least an hour every day, regardless of the size, in my opinion.
generall: a tired dog, is a calm dog.

what did you do to socialize her with all kind of sounds?
a can with coins can scare a dog a lot when it is already sensitive to sound. It could also be that you make the behaviour stronger with this.
I'd more try to distract him with treats or a toy for example.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I think the Barking at everything she hears is bordem. We both work weekdays so the most I am able to do is take her out before I leave and when I get home. As for guests I felt she viewed them as a threat to the family but then she starts barking the moment she hears my husband come up the stairs and for at least a minute after he gets in. The guest thing is a major issue as it is 7:30 in the morning and I am sure waking all my neighbors. The barking is such an issue I am afraid we will be asked to leave or get ret rid of her.
How would I work the treat method?

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Have you tried white noise yet? Also, can you move her into a room away from windows? Are you giving anything to her to occupy her time such as a frozen stuffed Kong? You can also give her her meals in food puzzles so she'll get a chance to work her mind.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
What do you do with her to exercise her before you leave the house in the morning?
perhaps she needs more entertainment then, so she's all tired and not as nervous when you come home.

When she's bark only when you or someone else is coming or going in the house, it could also be, that she just trying to alert you. that would also explain why she also barks when your partner is coming home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We leave her with lots of toys. Havent tried white noise or treat toy. We shut mini blind in an effort to try and help but she tore a hole in the blind in an effort to see out.

We dont have many visitors but we just had to hire a nanny 2 days a week. She starts barking the moment she hears her and when she gets in its either continously bark,
back away, bark or continuously bark until i leave and for quite awhile after. I am told she never fully calms down.

·
Banned
5 Posts
I usually don't write comments. I think that dog’s collars are bad for dogs. But I feel for you...we had problems with our dog also. He used to bark like crazy when we were not at home, and our neighbours complained a lot because of that. Both my husband and I work a lot and had no time to take our Bud to dog training classes. We asked one friend who works in foster care (he is always surrounded by dogs) what we should do. He recommended one online dog behavior trainer. I love this trainer http://bit.ly/1WFtYpt
It helped us a lot, and I strongly recommend it for you.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
We leave her with lots of toys. Havent tried white noise or treat toy. We shut mini blind in an effort to try and help but she tore a hole in the blind in an effort to see out.

We dont have many visitors but we just had to hire a nanny 2 days a week. She starts barking the moment she hears her and when she gets in its either continously bark,
back away, bark or continuously bark until i leave and for quite awhile after. I am told she never fully calms down.
how long is your morning walk before you leave the house?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts