Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently received our first warning from the City. One of our neighbors reported/complained that our dog has been barking excessively during the day in our backyard (while we are at work). Next time it happens, we will be fined $100.

We have no choice but to get our outdoor dog used to being an indoor dog. So far, he dislikes it and gets restless during the day.

Any advice? We work full-time. Getting a dog walker or day care service is too expensive.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
We recently received our first warning from the City. One of our neighbors reported/complained that our dog has been barking excessively during the day in our backyard (while we are at work). Next time it happens, we will be fined $100.

We have no choice but to get our outdoor dog used to being an indoor dog. So far, he dislikes it and gets restless during the day.

Any advice? We work full-time. Getting a dog walker or day care service is too expensive.
You don't live in Laveen, do you?

Anyway...If your dog is barking outside all the time (enough to have neighbors complain / city issue a warning), he's likely bored.

I would start by making sure he has enough exercise. If you're not sure how much that should be, it'll likely depend as much on the individual dog as the breed, but the breed would give us a good place to start. My dogs need an absolute minimum of 1hr/day for a walk, plus we go for a bike ride, and do some form of training MOST days.

Some other things you can use to help him use his brain are puzzle feeders, kongs, etc. Search for "Buster Cube" in your favorite search engine. My dogs love these. It'll take a few tries to figure it out, but once figured out, they still have to work at it to provide their meals...you can actually feed the dog ALL their kibble in this method.

Last thing I would recommend is to spend 10-15 mins/day minimum doing some little training exercises...there are plenty of things to train him that he might do *some* or *most* of the time, that can still be improved upon, OR - teach him new behaviors that you want him to exercise while living indoors with you.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Lots and lots of exercise before you leave for work and I would also suggest getting a crate to have the dog inside the house so he will not destroy your home while you are away. BUT....you must teach the dog that the crate is his home, something positive. Don't just buy a crate put the dog in and expect to get good results out of that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts