Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I’m looking for some direction for training my 2 year old Sheltie/Collie mix, Maggie. We adopted Maggie in August of last year (2019). She came from a rescue who had her from birth (literally, they brought in her pregnant mother and she gave birth a few days later). Many of the puppies in the litter did not make it (she is totally healthy though). She was adopted out to an older woman, but that woman passed away and by nature of the contract, her son gave Maggie back to the rescue. She spent a few months being fostered with the woman who owns the rescue, in a home with 10-15 other dogs, so I can only imagine how chaotic and uncertain she must have felt. We were told that she needed a quiet home, which we could provide, and when we met her the woman mentioned her barking problem as an aside in conversation—she said something like “she’s a great dog, I just can’t take her barking”. That’s a pretty accurate description of her. She is so sweet and loving but very anxious and barks A LOT. I understand that Shelties bark a lot as we used to have one, but Maggie’s bark is piercing and nonstop all day. Any time someone comes in the house, leaves the house, or walks past the house she goes into a barking fit. She is also very anxious which makes this a bit more difficult to deal with. Any unfamiliar/sudden noise scares her and sometimes she hides under furniture for hours on end. She is also very anxious outside, but that has gotten a bit better with more positive experience. Maggie is such a sweet, amazing girl and I would love to help her anxiety and barking problems so that she can feel more relaxed inside and outside of our home. Thank you for any and all suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
Kikopup on youtube has,an excellent Stop Barking series of short videos.

You can also have something like a yoghurt carton smeared with wet dog food or similar and when she starts barking, present it for her to lick. She can't lick and bark at the same time. While she is licking, the moment she stops barking tell her ”quiet” or similar, then once she understands you can delay the yoghurt pot for a split second and use it as a reward for stopping the barking, very gradually increasing the time between the cue and the reward.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kikopup on youtube has,an excellent Stop Barking series of short videos.

You can also have something like a yoghurt carton smeared with wet dog food or similar and when she starts barking, present it for her to lick. She can't lick and bark at the same time. While she is licking, the moment she stops barking tell her ”quiet” or similar, then once she understands you can delay the yoghurt pot for a split second and use it as a reward for stopping the barking, very gradually increasing the time between the cue and the reward.

Thanks! I will definitely check out those videos.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts