Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm becoming completely exasperated by poor Greg's skin issues.

I'll start from the beginning.

So, we got him shortly before a spring time & quickly discovered he had skin irritations caused by different grasses & plants that were sprouting/pollinating at that time of year. Being a terrier mix, I know skin complaints are rather common. The vet confirmed our plant/contact allergy suspicions. The irritation was fairly minor & at first just by keeping him away from certain places, wiping him down with a damp cloth after being outside & washing him with soothing shampoos was enough to keep it all in-check...

However, a few months ago it all started to get worse. The plants that used to upset his skin are either not around this time of year or we try to avoid as much contact with them as possible yet his scratching/chewing/biting is at an all time high.

He gets extra Omegas/fish oil in his diet.
I don't feed wheat/corn/soy/dairy.
He went a few months without beef, then chicken, then lamb, then fish etc to try & determine if he also had food issues.
He is up-to-date with flea/tick/worming.
I use all natural shampoos, washing detergents, cleaning products etc.
I don't think it is stress/anxiety related because I can honestly say that he otherwise appears to be a very happy & stable dog.

We have tried putting him in a cone, we keep his nails really short, we try & keep him busy with games, exercise, puzzles...but it seems like any chance he gets, he is scratching & chewing & rubbing himself on the carpet. I'm beginning to wonder if his skin IS even upsetting him, I am wondering if its become more of an obsessive habit...I just cant make sense of this.

He is going back to the vet (for the 5th time just for this skin complaints) mid next week. I just don't know what to do anymore. It is so hard for me to see him mutilate himself & not know how to help him. What am I doing wrong? Arrgghh! I dread coming home from work & seeing him bleeding again & again. I have been trying to find someone who can watch him on days he has to be alone so he can be interrupted when he starts but I haven't had any luck with that yet.

Sorry that was much longer than I thought it would be, I really just needed a vent more than anything lol.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
What medicine do you give him to break the cycle?

My boy also has a contact allergy, and I can't figure out exactly what plant sets it off. When it starts up usually Bensdryl is enough I give it twice a day 8 to 12 hours apart. Around once a year it tends to get really bad and my vet will give me Temeril P, and he'll be on that 2 weeks to a month depending on how I wean him off of it, once he's off I put him back on the Benadryl and the itching is usually kept under control.

I know his is not food related because during late fall through early spring he does not itch and he's on the same food and getting the same treats year round.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What medicine do you give him to break the cycle?

My boy also has a contact allergy, and I can't figure out exactly what plant sets it off. When it starts up usually Bensdryl is enough I give it twice a day 8 to 12 hours apart. Around once a year it tends to get really bad and my vet will give me Temeril P, and he'll be on that 2 weeks to a month depending on how I wean him off of it, once he's off I put him back on the Benadryl and the itching is usually kept under control.

I know his is not food related because during late fall through early spring he does not itch and he's on the same food and getting the same treats year round.
Oh Rain, I had forgotten to list any actual medical stuff haha! Need to grab his vet records because Im terrible at remembering names.
...okay, we have tried oral benadryl, clemastine & briefly chlorpheniramine (but we took him off that quickly as it had the common side effect of making him extremely lethargic). The vet was confident that they would be enough to help but that was when we were initially assuming it was just seasonal allergies. Now that it is obviously developed into a year-round issue, we will be having a dreaded conversation about the pros & cons of steroidal based treatments. I have also heard about like...desensitizing injections or something? I haven't spoken to anyone who has had that done before & im trying to find information about effects of long-term usage.

Haha, re-reading my initial post, it wasn't very well written & probably served mainly as a way for me to rant & vent sorry :eek:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, he had a skin scrape test done in February & when we go to the vet this coming Wednesday (different vet for a second opinion) I'm going to ask for another one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Jack has the same problem. It seems to get worse when his food contains beef. He is now on antibiotics (ceph) and benadryl twice a day. It seems to be clearing up nicely. oh and changed his food to limited ingredient.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts