Dog Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
My parents would probably keep it until i had a home and a stable economy.
When you think about owning a dog, they are a lot like children - they want your time and affection, actually they NEED your time and affection. They are part of your family and they are totally dependent on you to meet their needs, including food, water, medical attention, personal attention. Adopt a dog is honorable because their are so many dogs in rescue kennels that have become too much for their owners to handle and care for. Your dog is your friend, your partner, your soul mate - he/she needs you as much or more than you need them. The responsibility is not a lot less than your own child. Keep that in mind.
I have had dogs all my life, from Poodles, to Dalmatians to mixed breeds to yorkies. They all have personalities just like people but can't tell you what they need. It's up to you to read their signs and talk to your vet about feeding. An obese dog has a shorter life and requires more medical care. Keep in mind Labs shed - and note if that could be a concern.
Best luck in selecting your next all-time best friend!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was thinking of adopting a dog from djurskyddet Skellefteå
Okay but do they run a shelter? As I was looking on their page it also looks like they mostly focuses on rehoming cats. Since they’re an animal welfare organization which takes care of abused and mistreated animals it’s important to know that there’s a big difference between taking on a so called “rescue-dog” and a “normal” dog who only needs a new home. I can imagine that most of the animals they’re rehoming comes from bad situations. Which means that they often require more time and knowledge from their owner. Adopting a rescue dog with the argument that you don’t have a lot of time doesn’t add up. These are dogs that demand loads of time, engagement and knowledge.

Yet again, if you, after carefully consideration and planning, decides that it’s the right decision to get a dog; I suggest that you find a private person who needs a new home for their dog. A dog that haven’t been mistreated or have problem behaviors. It’s also important to clarify that all dogs require a lot of time. Even if they’re the perfect dog normally it’s common that a dog who gets a new home, owners, surroundings etc gets stressed out and need time to settle in. Hence, you should always be prepared to put in all your time and effort when getting a dog. But some dogs are easier than others and there’s definitely dogs you should avoid getting as a first time dog owner.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts