Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not sure if this has already been done here but I looked for it and couldn't find a thread related to it, but I just wanted to kinda start a thread where anyone could talk about little things we mess up as owners (I refuse to believe anyone is the perfect dog owner lol) so maybe other people can relate and I'll feel less guilty about my little failings as a pet parent ;)

So I guess I'll start:

1. Poor Bandit doesn't have a set potty time in the morning. He sleeps in bed with me and if I'm sleeping in he's sleeping in, and I'll always be that lazy dog owner (why I'll never get a puppy :D ). I just can't drag myself out of bed at 6:30 on my days off and he doesn't seem to mind but I always feel a twinge of guilt when I take him out at 9:30 on a day off.

2.I accidentally popped him on the nose the other night. I felt so so bad immediately afterwards but he scared me half to death! Me and both dogs were on my bed and Bandit likes to lay on his back with his legs spread and Molly was on the other side of me. Well, I opened a bag of pretzels on the side Bandit was on, and Molly jumped over me to get to them, landing on Bandit's you-know-what and causing him to wake up out of a dead sleep and snap at her. It was an immediate reaction; I yelled and popped him on the nose and he immediately looked so scared and I felt like the worst dog owner in the whole world, my poor boy just got woken out of a dead sleep by a 15 pound pug landing on him and then when he tries to defend himself his mommy slapped him in the nose. :( luckily he forgives me :p

I'm sure I can think of more, But I just wanted to give everyone an option to be able to put out there any little mistakes we've made so we can all relate :huddle:

Reactions: Sabina88 and Sha

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Trying to restrain my puppy until she calmed down, a terrible blow to our bond. Never worked and she seems to have recovered well. I don't take dog advice from the people that suggested it anymore.

Trying to run before walking in terms of going outside, so much going on and Echo is super aware of everything. It's going to be weeks before we can go for a long walk.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to restrain my puppy until she calmed down, a terrible blow to our bond. Never worked and she seems to have recovered well. I don't take dog advice from the people that suggested it anymore.

Trying to run before walking in terms of going outside, so much going on and Echo is super aware of everything. It's going to be weeks before we can go for a long walk.
I totally understand! Bandit gets so extremely excited when I put his harness on that I've gotten frustrated and grabbed at him to try and get him to stop for one measly second.

I've actually been following your posts about the puppy! She's so cute and I'm glad you seem to be making good progress with her. I don't even know how I'd handle a puppy, I have a hard enough time with my rescue and he's 2 and (mostly) well behaved! ;)

Reactions: Chas

·
Registered
88 Posts
*coversface* being told to show your the boss by taking dogs bowl while he's eats like to say I did that once but if I go over while he's eating it's to add something not to take it away *blush*

·
Registered
260 Posts
When I first got rocky I was into the whole be the alpha mentality. I actually alpha rolled��. I feel so bad about that and I still have relapses and sometimes I smack him without thanking because its what I was taught. I feel horrible after but I hate that I react that way to certain things. I have broken down crying because of this several times����
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I first got rocky I was into the whole be the alpha mentality. I actually alpha rolled��. I feel so bad about that and I still have relapses and sometimes I smack him without thanking because its what I was taught. I feel horrible after but I hate that I react that way to certain things. I have broken down crying because of this several times����
Posted via Mobile Device
I've had that happen too. My dad taught their pug not to lick him by smacking her every time she did until she learned not to. It's hard to remember in the heat of the moment all of the new things we've learned when it goes against how most of us were raised to believe dogs were supposed to be taught. Luckily Bandit is a very forgiving dog.

·
Registered
712 Posts
@Doppelganger0337 it's funny how I'm seeing this thread right now, I'm trying to house train my pitbull puppy and I'm at my wits end!! And just yesterday I was talking to my neighbor about it and going cold turkey with the pee pads (as suggested in one of my threads about housetraining advice) and my neighbor said in passing to "punish" her when she has an accident. I immediately corrected her and said "No! You can't do that! They will just learn to potty when you're not around" (she was shocked at that). And then that brought back a whole flood of memories (and guilt) of when I was house training Keiko (my 12 year old Shiba). Oh man, how I did it so backwards 12 years ago. I still feel so bad about how I had house trained him, poor guy. I corrected him, yelled at him and even *gulp* put his nose in his puddles (it's what I had read on the internet). Oh the shame! Needless to say, my methods with Mia (my pittie) are the COMPLETE opposite (a ton of positive reinforcement) and I will definitely not make the same mistakes again!

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's not really purposeful, but I struggle with feeling guilty showing favoritism with our dogs and if anyone has any advice or similar situation I'd like to hear.

My boyfriend and I have lived together for a long time. We got our first dog, a beagle, as a puppy. I let him pick which one we took home, and for some reason this beagle took to me like I've never seen! To this day he is attached to my hip when I'm home. We have a strong bond. My boyfriend decided to adopt another dog a year later, Riley, a mix, who bonded moreso with him, but I love Riley too! Our dogs have become my kids..but I do feel guilty that I'm closer to my beagle.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Luring!

Absolutely guilty of that if Bri decides she doesn't want to go potty at 10 pm before going in the crate. Well... the couch is just sooo much better for sleeping! :)

But we finally got to a point where her recall gets so good that she will even wake up and leave the comfy couch for my call.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hmmm luckily I don't have any I can recall. Besides ever thinking that retractable leashes were good. Or my parents using an invisible fence :(.
Oh and feeding catfish to my grandma's rat terrier. The gas smelt like sin.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
*sigh* I've been really depressed, anxious and generally an emotional mess on and off the entire time I've had Stella. It's made me yell too much. Also sometimes I unintentionally scare her if I'm crying a lot or having some sort of emotional meltdown. Plus it's often made some of my training inconsistent because I can't muster up the patience or tolerance necessary.

I also feel like even though I *know* what to do, I often don't do it. I'm usually on edge and just have knee jerk reactions and get upset. I try but often I feel like Stella would be much better trained and behaved if she was with someone better than me. Even someone who was more active. I've also gotten really frustrated and angry (almost feeling betrayed) with her because in about the past 5 months or so she's gotten leash reactive to other dogs and been more prone to get into scuffles with other dogs. I spent SO much time socializing her and doing everything I could to have a dog I could take anywhere, and now it feels like all the work I did over the past year and some change was worthless. Every day I feel like I'm not good enough and just messing up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Haha, I love this thread!!

I made all the mistakes I could make with my Dobberman! She was in control all the time.. That's what you get when you love them too much, right :D?!!
Sadly, she passed away 1.5 year ago.. But, on the bright side; I have 4 other dogs who are raised properly! I learned A LOT from it!!

Love,
Valerie

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
*sigh* I've been really depressed, anxious and generally an emotional mess on and off the entire time I've had Stella. It's made me yell too much. Also sometimes I unintentionally scare her if I'm crying a lot or having some sort of emotional meltdown. Plus it's often made some of my training inconsistent because I can't muster up the patience or tolerance necessary.

I also feel like even though I *know* what to do, I often don't do it. I'm usually on edge and just have knee jerk reactions and get upset. I try but often I feel like Stella would be much better trained and behaved if she was with someone better than me. Even someone who was more active. I've also gotten really frustrated and angry (almost feeling betrayed) with her because in about the past 5 months or so she's gotten leash reactive to other dogs and been more prone to get into scuffles with other dogs. I spent SO much time socializing her and doing everything I could to have a dog I could take anywhere, and now it feels like all the work I did over the past year and some change was worthless. Every day I feel like I'm not good enough and just messing up.
You are not alone with this one! Seems like you've got a bit of imposter syndrome going on there, no one/dog is perfect, Stella is not a complete reflection of you or your actions, dogs have their own quirks/personality. I've only been on the forum for a month but I have no doubt that there are plenty of people here willing to help if you need it. The work you've put in is not for nothing, imagine Stella had come from a shelter as she is with little of the foundation training you've worked on because I suspect it would be much more difficult to make progress with her.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
@Chas Stella technically came from a shelter but she was in a foster and came immediately to me at about 13 weeks old. As far as I can tell, especially since I know who fostered her, she had good early experiences. If she has any problems they're likely either inherent or caused from here/me. The only problem she used to have was being scared of car rides but we got over that.

Thank you though

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
No worries, anxiety and depression is hell sometimes. I still doubt you've caused Stella's issues, I've known completely calm, not shut down, pups from bad owners.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
@traciek88 - I feel the same way, actually. I have GAD/Depression and while I'm not "severe" it is easy for me to get frustrated at times and have to walk away, or work up the motivation to do certain things. I also had the puppy blues really bad when I brought Chisum home and that probably affected him too.

Quite honestly, I LOVE my Chisum. He really is just the sweetest dog. He's goofy and hilarious and smart. He is eager to learn and loves to snuggle. He is so happy to see me when I get home that my heart just fills with joy (along with seeing my other two dogs ;)).

BUT he is a LOT of dog. Not just energy wise or even mental stimulation wise, but he has a massively high prey drive, and is reactive in every way possible (frustration, fear, you name it). Sometimes he handles it really well and I jump for joy, but the situation has to be super specific. Other times it's much harder. He also has anxiety and certain situations that increase his anxiety - being left home alone, being tied up (even if I'm a few feet away working on something), etc. So if those situations happen he is even LESS likely to cope with the never ending list of reactive triggers.

There have been days I wonder if he'd be better off with someone who was a better trainer than I. I read and I enlist professionals when I can, but it's still a massive challenge. I still work hard with him but at this point am not sure if he'll be able to come with me whenever I move, which is sad as that is what I had intended.

However, for all of it, I have to admit: he's got it pretty good. We live on acreage - lots of room to run freely, which he adores. He is very much loved. He gets the care he needs, even though it can be difficult to find the exact care that he does need. Even if I couldn't take him with me, he'd get all that plus both of my parents intend to retire in the next couple of years, so he'd be left alone far less often.

I really don't have any idea what happened to the rest of his family. They ALL had fear issues and came from a nasty situation, so even though I got him at 8 weeks he still had major setbacks that showed (and he has improved a lot in those areas!). In reality, he really doesn't have it that bad so even though I took on a LOT of dog, I was able to learn a lot from him and know that he's safe and loved. In the end, that's what counts.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I never crate trained Freyja. I knew I should, the boys are crate trained. But the first night we brought her home she cried and cried. The problem is that I'm not the only one in the house and while I know everyone would understand I just couldn't let her keep everyone up. So I brought her into bed with my BF and I. She slept great that night and every other night until she got a bit too big for us all to sleep comfortably. She was so well behaved, she hasn't chewed anything major, a couple small things. And was house trained pretty quickly that I just didn't crate her, and she outgrew the crate I have. So now she has never been left home alone. It's not too bad, someone is always home. But sometimes it's a pain, making sure someone is home(and awake) to keep an eye on her. I know I need to start leaving her. But just keep putting it off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
*cringes* When we first got our three month old puppy Dani, the very first time she managed to jump on my bed herself she nipped me on the nose (trying to be nice) I was deep asleep and was scared to death (for some reason, probably having a bad dream or something like that) and as a defense reaction I smacked her on the nose away from me. When I realized what i had done and tried to apologize she peed all over my bed. She still likes to nibble noses but does it very cautiously. :( I still feel bad.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
*cringes* When we first got our three month old puppy Dani, the very first time she managed to jump on my bed herself she nipped me on the nose (trying to be nice) I was deep asleep and was scared to death (for some reason, probably having a bad dream or something like that) and as a defense reaction I smacked her on the nose away from me. When I realized what i had done and tried to apologize she peed all over my bed. She still likes to nibble noses but does it very cautiously. :( I still feel bad.
^This. There are so many times when pain just makes you react with that animal instinct to retaliate physically. I've definitely done that once or twice to Stella, just out of pain or shock.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts