1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
WoW! I will really print this and make some people here read it!! ...Although I don't think they will understand until someone punch them in the face!

Thanks Crio!

·
Registered
22,636 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
22,636 Posts

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
This is why we only look at the pound/rescues for adult dogs. A purebred puppy will always be adopted. I saw the worst ad on craigslist the other day: rehoming our older dog because we got a puppy. WTH?!

·
Registered
22,636 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I see those ads all the time. Or moving to a non-pet apartment. Or having a child. Don't get me started ;)

Crio-your absolutely right. No matter how many times they throw prostitutes in jail or prosecute a drug dealer-if someone is buying someone WILL SELL.
That's the laws of a free market. Your totally BANG ON. We need to go after, instead of the puppymill, the {deleted} who buys from one. Absolutely.

And I like that equation-though please take me with a grain of salt so to speak-I'm a veg, I'm an animal activist. I am extreme in my views often.

'if you buy, a shelter dog will die' IT's really and truly true imho because if you buy then you are one less home for a shelter dog.
-I, please don't take me as admonishing responsible breeders. Please. I am not. I am admonishing people who breed thier unproven un health checked dog who is generally mixed. When 6-8 million dogs and cats are put to sleep a year unless you are a real responsible breeder your pet needs to be fixed or not allowed to mate. And selling those pups or kittens for money is awful. Yeah spouting sorry guys!! I am definitely extreme in my view but there they are ;)

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I would like to add something...once a man from a shelter told me that 30% of the dogs they had there is because people didn't want their dog to die but they didn't want to keep it either. If the shelter wasn't there they would have keep their dog. (that was their answer). So this man said that it is better to buy from a reputable breeder than to adopt a dog from a shelter because people abandon their dogs there cause they "believe" or have the "excuse" that someone else will adopt their dog. That was his opinion...I still don't know how I feel about it but he has a point...somehow.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hmm, interesting. It reminds me of Marley and Me where John and Jenny knew enough to not buy from a pet store or puppy mill but couldn't really recognize a backyard breeder. I think like them, most people think that they're getting their dogs from a good breeder but they just don't know how to recognize one. If the breeder has a website and shows them the parents they might think that the breeder is doing the right thing. And even in some cases the breeder might lack the education and even think that they are being a good breeder by doing those things. They might think that their dog has a great personality or something like that and breed them.
I'd like to think that no one breeds a dog with bad intentions but we all know that isn't true:mad: gosh darn it.

So, why isn't this readily known to all dog owners/ prospective owners? Chances are they want to make a good decision... (at least I hope)

·
Registered
473 Posts
rainbow... hehehe

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I would like to add something...once a man from a shelter told me that 30% of the dogs they had there is because people didn't want their dog to die but they didn't want to keep it either. If the shelter wasn't there they would have keep their dog. (that was their answer). So this man said that it is better to buy from a reputable breeder than to adopt a dog from a shelter because people abandon their dogs there cause they "believe" or have the "excuse" that someone else will adopt their dog. That was his opinion...I still don't know how I feel about it but he has a point...somehow.
People will dump their pet come heck or high water. A shelter is a better option then dumping it to fend for itself which is also something that pet owners do a lot of. Or giving it 'free to good home' where the dog could end up bred or used as a bait dog or just not find a good home at all... I don't think people get rid of their dog because there is a shelter. But my opinion :)

·
Registered
22,636 Posts
So, why isn't this readily known to all dog owners/ prospective owners? Chances are they want to make a good decision... (at least I hope)
my opinion is cynical, but i think for much of it, people are lazy and impulsive or looking for a deal on a "status symbol" doing research on where to get a dog takes so much more time then opening the paper or clicking on a picture online... i also think that there is a desire to remain ignorant of things that are horrible, like puppymills. rather then learn the truth of these things, people "turn a blind eye" to it... there is a puppy store in my town that opened not too long ago. we have a very very dog friendly town (thankfully since most of the people here have at least one dog :)) to the point that some of the places serving food will allow your dog in...
anyway, the puppy store was not warmly welcomed, and in fact there has since been a ban on the retail sale of dogs and cats within the city limits, but so many people would make comments about it like this "well, i heard it was bad, but i went in to find out for myself, and they were so nice, and the puppies are so cute!"
so... not that you were really asking for a direct answer, but that is my take on it :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 15 of 15 Posts