Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you've read the Attacking Angel thread, this one might be more easy to understand. It's kinda complicated. :p
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a thought about this: will Lexi ever be a sociable dog? Could I ever let her off-leash and trust her? If we worked with a professional trainer, or an expert, might there ever be a chance that she can be trusted around other dogs?? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
@LexiBarkus I think of you work her really hard different dogs. Breeds and sizes slowly you could get her to a point where she can be trusted off a leash with other dogs. The only precaution you will probably always have to take is keeping her at your house when she is with other dogs or going to the other dogs houses. I wouldn't ever take her to a dog park as that's a lot of excitement. She should stay in a place of control and a dog park isn't controlled really it's just a lot of dogs running around. She seems to get along with Izzy that sweet beagle so maybe you could use Izzy as a comfort when you bring new dogs around her. Izzy could also show her how to interact with other dogs :):)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
@LexiBarkus I forgot to tell you to keep Lexi on a leash when she first meets a new dog :):) If you feel she is ready after they meet and sniff each other then take her off the leash. :):)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't ever done that with Izzy, even, just because, hey she's not my dog :) Don't want anyone getting hurt; Lexi has a history. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Honestly, it is extremely difficult to answer that without seeing her in person.

The answer is, maybe. The harsh reality is that not all dogs are social butterflies. There is a huge range in dog tolerance, and in general dog tolerance tends to decrease with age. (Think of a happy go lucky friends with everyone puppy vs a 12 year old dog who would rather be left alone).

In my house I have two fairly different social dogs. Levi loves every single dog. It doesn't matter their size, breed, intact/neutered, or even if they are super rude. He loves them all and is happy to play. He never corrects, just leaves the situation, or tries to diffuse by playing. He's a unicorn.

Heidi has a zero tolerance for rude behaviour. Dogs that jump/mount/put their head in her rear/bark in her face/or invade her bubble will be quickly rebuked. As a result, I do not introduce her to puppies or let puppies say hello, and we avoid insane labs and boxers. (No judgement, I love them, but they are wild).

Maybe Lexi will have friends/doggy playdates, but it is unnatural for them to love every single dog they meet. And the way you describe her in the other thread, she sounds very afraid of dogs that approach her on leash. Stiff body language, piloerection (hair standing up) are all signs that your dog is uncomfortable.

I would highly encourage you to look at the CARE for reactive dogs site to learn some insights on Lexi's behaviour.

Care for Reactive Dogs

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, i think she just needs to get to know the other dog. It's what we needed with Izzy, too. She barked at her at first too, but then got to know her and was friendly...wow we've come far!!
Thanks, @Shandula and @Markie for all the advice!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Yes, i think she just needs to get to know the other dog. It's what we needed with Izzy, too. She barked at her at first too, but then got to know her and was friendly...wow we've come far!!
Thanks, @Shandula and @Markie for all the advice!
I would do one dog at a time slowly :):) And the same dog tell she is comfortable and friendly with that dog similar to the way she is with Izzy :):)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, that's the way to work it. When Lexi's on a walk tho, she either barks or whines at all the dogs. I wish I knew if she will always be like this :(
Dogs will be dogs, I guess!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Yep, that's the way to work it. When Lexi's on a walk tho, she either barks or whines at all the dogs. I wish I knew if she will always be like this :(
Dogs will be dogs, I guess!
I really don't think she will. How old is Lexi?? :):) Sometimes dogs that have never been worked with take a little longer to get the picture as they where not taught when they were younger very common thing. :):)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lexi is three.
Okay here's the thing: We think she was abused. Lexi has a scar on her neck-probably from a rope. When we got her, she was timid, constipated, and really quiet. Now, of course, her true self shows through: spoiled, weird, healthy, and LOUD!!!
I sometimes wish dogs had a voice. It would help a ton!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Lexi is three.
Okay here's the thing: We think she was abused. Lexi has a scar on her neck-probably from a rope. When we got her, she was timid, constipated, and really quiet. Now, of course, her true self shows through: spoiled, weird, healthy, and LOUD!!!
I sometimes wish dogs had a voice. It would help a ton!
That is probably right for her to have a scar on her neck. She has plenty of time to get along with other dogs. Now she has blossomed a little training like your doing should get her where she needs to go. :):):)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts