Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this something that DF is philosophically opposed to?

Personally, I do feel it's something that has to be on the table as an option in some cases.

Not everything is rainbows and glitter when it comes to dog behavior. We'd all like to believe that every single dog can be "saved".

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I'm curious about this as well so I don't inadvertently suggest the wrong thing. I know it should happen infrequently and should be a last resort but I am of the mindset that sometimes (only sometimes) it is the most humane thing. :(

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Personally, I'm not opposed to it at all in severe circumstances. I think there are a lot of people who haven't been exposed to an actual seriously aggressive dog before. Then there are people who think ANY life is preferable to death, even if it means removing all the dogs teeth and having them live in a kennel for the rest of their lives.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Personally, I'm not opposed to it at all in severe circumstances. I think there are a lot of people who haven't been exposed to an actual seriously aggressive dog before. Then there are people who think ANY life is preferable to death, even if it means removing all the dogs teeth and having them live in a kennel for the rest of their lives.

Agree with this 100%. IMO it's a mental sickness when a dog is so severely traumatized that it becomes aggressive enough to warrant euthanasia, no different than cancer or any other terminal disease.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
There isn't any DF rule or official stance on that particular topic...
Doesn't arise too often, but the other mods and I can talk and perhaps add a rule if we feel it is needed.

As far as what to do/suggest if the topic does come up...

If it's a member's pet dog, personally I would recommend an assessment with a behaviorist/behavior consultant AND a vet consult. This is because it isn't possible to properly assess the dog's behavior and prognosis online, and also most members are not really qualified to be make that assessment anyway.

If it's a dog in the news, one who mauled/caused severe injuries, I'm a little more comfy personally with the discussion as it's more a case of ''which side and why''.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I feel like anyone who understands mental illness or experienced it would not want to put an animal through the same torture. Sometimes having a horrible life isn't better than having a peaceful death surrounded by someone who loves them.

Euthanasia is a hard topic, no one likes to talk about it. But in the end we are all people behind these screen names, living real lives, with real issues that may not translate very well through forum. What people decide to do with their lives and the lives of their dogs is very much their business, we are just suppose to be here to offer advice.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just wondering because of a recent thread. I personally supported the now banned member. I do understand that it's not possible for anyone here to provide a behavioral consultation via the internet. No one should be made to feel they've failed their dog unless you are a hands on, eyes on professional dealing with that dog and that owner.

This will be my last post on DF. I started this thread because of how a member was treated. I'm leaving because this forum is no longer one I care to read or participate in. I met some nice people here and wish them well.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@Grabby - I'm sorry to hear that you're leaving. I for one will miss your candid advice and suggestions. :(

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
@Grabby - seems that thread was charged for sure. I also supported that member. I'll be the first to say that if my circumstances were different regarding my dog (who hasn't bitten but I think in a different circumstance he absolutely could) we'd be in a different place right now. The both of us got very lucky and I absolutely sympathize with that member.

I do think that in some cases euthanasia is an option. It's not ideal, but that's life. I also advocate for a behavioral meeting AND a vet check. Sometimes vets can provide great advice - not just medical, but they often know of people who can be of help.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
@Grabby

I'm also sad to hear that you're leaving. I've always enjoyed your posts. :(

FWIW - I supported her decision as well. I respect that it wasn't arrived at lightly and I could cry thinking about what could happen to these problem dogs if placed in the wrong hands.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I've seen people say it's cruel to have dogs PTS and think that dogs are bothered by it but do dogs really understand the concept of death? I think there's a tendency for us humans to desperately want to believe animals such as dogs are a lot like us in every way. I obviously can't ask a dog but I'm skeptical as even some young children have trouble with understanding death. If dogs don't, you could argue that as long as it's done humanely, there's nothing wrong with having a dog euthanized for whatever reason. That's especially true if an owner is in a dire situation where they're unable to care for the animal in some way.

Dog owners like to judge one another like crazy on the net and offline. People like to label things as cruel such as ear cropping and dying a dog's fur when so much of this is a matter of opinion. It's a matter of opinion because you cannot simply ask a dog what it finds distressing or cruel. Honestly, as long as a dog appears to be happy, I don't care what people do with there dogs and it's certainly not really any of my business what other people do. Some dog owners do things differently from myself and some dog owners are better than others but that doesn't mean they're being cruel or neglectful dog owners or horrible people. I see it the same way with parents and children. :)

·
Premium Member
Zoe, Phoenix, Alice - ACDx
4,351 Posts
I am against euthanasia without getting a second opinion from a professional in person. I completely agree with KMES that most pet owners are not qualified to make the decision on their own or with just guidance from over the internet. That's why we have a rule about biting dogs and seeking professional help.

I actually think the dog in question could of had a chance with the right person. My dog was way worse off than that dog when I first got her and she's doing great now. There were quite a few people who offered to help the person who was banned and she turned them all down. We have rules about negligence and not getting professional training help with your dog is considered negligent. We don't ban people lightly and every mod was in agreement about this particular case.

That being said, I don't think we need to continue to beat a dead horse with such a sensitive topic. This is closed. If anyone has any questions for the mod team, feel free to post in the Talk to the Team section. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I just wanted to add that the decision to ban was also not made lightly. We came to consensus after discussing everything we knew. We do not disagree with euthanizing for severe behavior issues when they will affect the dogs quality of life and all other options are exhausted. But in this particular situation, we don't feel that all options were exhausted. If said individual had involved a behaviorist or professional trainer, and tried medication, and the behaviorist said that there was something "wrong" upstairs? Then that's a different story. We just don't feel that the dog had the chance it deserved her hands, in her situation, with her limited experience.

I even personally reached out because I had gotten into contact with a JRT rescue here, who would have been able to get into contact with the JRT rescue there, and the dog could have been pulled and put into the hands of experienced people for evaluation. She said no. She proceeded with the decision to euthanize.

It was for these reasons that we decided the member in question broke the rule about neglect. She did not make an honest attempt to provide that dog with what it needed to live a quality life before she chose to end it's life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.