Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this question is allowed. Would love some help from someone who knows the English Springer Spaniel well. :3
I've been trying to research the Springer breed ever since I got a Springer pup as a gift. I know there are 2 different types of ESS; Field and Bench, differences. Anyway, I'm curious to what my lil' guy qualifies as, or if he's neither, or maybe he's too young to tell. o_O

I would guess Bench because he has more black than white and the breeder docked his tail short(I would of liked his full tail though :( ) But he also has a lot of freckles coming in and not that long of coat like the Field. Any idea?

Note: Alas, I didn't get to speak to the breeder personally so I didn't see the parents. He has AKC papers, however, they don't give that much info. Thanks for any kind of input!

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I'd just contact the breeder and ask. :) Does his pedigree have any prefixes next to the names like DC or CH, etc?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Crock
I would contact the breeder but it's been 3 weeks since I got him and it might seem weird to suddenly ask about them ^_^; His pedigree just has his parents registration numbers, birth dates, and plain names. It's not super important that I know, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I don't think you can tell by looking at him right now. It really is all in the lines he comes from.

Perhaps ask the breeder... "we just love our puppy... can you tell us anything about his ancestors?... were they field dogs or show dogs?"

I think that's fair to say. Generally breeders are happy if their puppy owners are enthusiastic about the puppy!

Reactions: crock

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
If you feel funny calling the breeder now. You can google the breeders name and see if any show results come up. If they have a kennel name (usually first in the dogs registered name) you can google that. You can also do the same for your pups parents. Most show results are available online through the superintendents.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
@Crock
I would contact the breeder but it's been 3 weeks since I got him and it might seem weird to suddenly ask about them ^_^; His pedigree just has his parents registration numbers, birth dates, and plain names. It's not super important that I know, I'm just curious.
It's never to late to ask the breeder. They should be more than happy to answer your questions.
By the way Hi, welcome, and have some fun here!:rockon:

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Good suggestion Lynne, and ditto Harley and Tess. Good breeders should be perfectly fine to help and answer questions throughout their puppies' lives. Most love hearing from their buyers.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I agree with asking the breeder, they should have no problem telling you! To me he looks like a bench variety. Depending on the breeder, he could also be a mix between both. A friend of mine breeds bench Springers and the mother (liver and white) is CKC and has just as many freckles as your guy :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aww, thanks for all the replies! I guess asking the breeder is my best option if I wish to ease my curiosity. All your words made me feel better about asking her too. And thank you Tess for giving me an idea on how I should word my email to her. :p

@Zoorun
I didn't know they could be both. o.o heh heh I guess bench type can have freckles too, so I would put my money on bench.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
The dog's name is actually Freckles haha! Good luck and let us know what she says :)

Some people will breed them together, depends on who it is. Some hunters will and stuff. My older dog who is 13 is half bench type springer and half border collie. We found this out after we got him from the SPCA and bumped into friends of his old owners.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Zoorun
Haha my pup's mom's name was Freckles! Thanks for the luck. :)
The breeder was nice and kindly wrote that his mother was field bred and his father was bench, apparently he is a mix XD! But she also said he looks more like his father so our assumptions were mostly correct.

BTW A bench springer/BC mix sounds like a gorgeous combo, he must be a really handsome boy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts