Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear this dog is an escape artist. He is a ten year old purebred beagle named Gizmo. He can get out of most anything it seems. Especially the backyard fence. He has suddenly taken up the habit of digging holes to get out, those have been filled in and he hasnt seem to be doing it again until one of the planks in the back fence broke and he dug a hole under the fence and got out since he's to big to fit between the little gap, Im suprised he could even squeeze under the fence to begin with since the hole is not that big or deep. I'm getting really tired of driving to the empty lot behind our house, crossing some elses property to get there to get him. Any tips to help me stop this habit? Boundry training perhaps? He is a hound so its a little difficult to stop him from following his nose all the time. The help would be appreciated I would hate for him to get hurt or lost, though he does come back after he's done exploring the lot and I call him a thousand times.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You could get a sandbox and fill it with dog toys, to try and satisfy his urge to dig.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
He does live indoors, its just when we let him out in the back yard that he escapes.
can you stay out with him to correct his behavior?

You could get a sandbox and fill it with dog toys, to try and satisfy his urge to dig.
this has got to be an amazing idea I have heard...I will recommend this to my friends who have dogs who dig!!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
can you stay out with him to correct his behavior?

this has got to be an amazing idea I have heard...I will recommend this to my friends who have dogs who dig!!!
Haha, I can't take the credit. I got it from It's Me or the Dog.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol I would but he doesnt like toys anymore and yes they are very smart little guys a pain but very smart. I have tried to correct him on a leash and all that after I let him off he follows his nose and out the fence and its a little difficult to supervise him all the time especially at night when I can't see past the porch light and he blends in. But I shall try again though keep him off the leash while im working or let him drag it around so i can grab it if he tries to escape. Digging isnt much of a problem when he can't see a way out of the yard. I've learned that he is actually squeezing himself sidways through the bottom part of the fence which will be fixed soon. It's pretty funny to see him struggling back through the fence but a little nerve racking too hoping he wont get stuck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a temporary fix that is different. My minicher pincher started getting out from baby fence on doors and started digging holes under fence in backyard. Drove me crazy and probably neighbors too. Can't afford repair fence and have tried concrete bricks and blocks. I don't know what you call it, but I have a small leash with a clip on each end. Only about 5 inches long. She is wearing a collar and harness. I put one clip on harness and one on collar. I put a large plastic coffee can in between. It is too big for her to dig a hole for her and the coffee can. I think some would think not a happy dog or cruel but she has gotten use to it. The lease is so short she doesn't get tangled in shrubs and it is so lightweight she runs with it everywhere. She can do everything she wants to. Anyway for now it keeps her from getting run over or preg. I close my doors at night and take it off and she comes over in the morning to put it on. No problem. I am not sure yet but I think it is doing alittle training especially staying in the baby fence.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Have you worked on recall, he coming back to you earns him a terrific reward, once he becomes reliable with coming back you can make the reward intermittent. You can also call him back and at times take him for a quick walk so that coming back to you when he escapes doesn't equal his automatically getting brought back inside.

My dog used to be a terrific escape artist and he'd get out of through such small holes that I wouldn't know where he was getting out. I used to have friends or family stand in the backyard with him while I went out front and called him, he'd go to the hole and the person would let me know where the hole was.

Can you put in a tie out cable for at night or when you can't be in the yard to supervise her? You'd need to place it where she couldn't get it tangled on anything and where she couldn't reach the fence with it on. Is she getting plenty of exercise? Sometimes extra exercise helps with the problem but may not solve it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You could try a zip line? Much nicer in my opinion than a stake and a chain, less likely they could choke themselves and can still run around. Or, though it's a bit of a project, you can pour cement a few inches in from the fence all along it. He can't dig through that! Or dig a trench (a few inches deeper than the dog is digging) and install chicken wire all around the bottom of the fence, then fill it in again with the dirt. Will take him much longer to dig under it, if he keeps trying, and you might be able to catch him in the act to correct the behavior.

Last resort you could always get a cheap invisible fence around the border, but dogs aren't always bothered by those.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts