Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my younger dog, Charlotte, is an escape artist extraordinaire and a bolter. I was told recently that training her in basic obedience would help the issue. However, I haven't taught my dogs basic obedience at all because they are nice dogs. I was wonderering what order I should teach her the obedience. I was told that sit, stay, laydown, recall, and backup would be the best ones to start with. I know I should start with sit, but what should I do after that??? Any other tips to help break her of this habit???

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Well she sounds like she needs impulse control. So maybe sit, down, then work on leave it. All the while I would be trying to work on recall. Have you checked out all the stickies?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read the different stickies about how to teach each obedience skill, but I didn't read through all of them because some didn't apply to my dog. I'll read the one about impulse control next. I didn't think this had anything to do with impulse control, but since it might be it would be a good sticky to read.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Door dashing is impulse control. The dog needs to learn to control the impulse that tells them to run any door they see open.

Also youtube is a great tool for training. I really like Kikopup

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohh, I see. Most of the problems occur when I am not at home. I live with my parents since I am in college, and she only bolts with them around. She will not bolt with me. As soon as she starts and I say no she rolls on her back to expose her tummy and become submissive.

It when I'm not around (she is alone or she is around my parents) that the problems arise.

I'll have to look things up on youtube.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Even if she is a "nice dog," basic obedience can only make her nicer!
Start w/ sit, down, stay, DEFINITELY work on recall, that is, a "come here" command, right away, so if she bolts it's possible to get her back. Knowing sit/down and stay will allow your parents(they must work w/ her frequently as well so she respects them too) to tell her to sit and stay before they open a door.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even if she is a "nice dog," basic obedience can only make her nicer!
Start w/ sit, down, stay, DEFINITELY work on recall, that is, a "come here" command, right away, so if she bolts it's possible to get her back. Knowing sit/down and stay will allow your parents(they must work w/ her frequently as well so she respects them too) to tell her to sit and stay before they open a door.
She has a command that for not bolting at the door, "back", but my parents don't use it. I guess I need to train them as well, lol.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Sounds like you really need to train your parents too.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Reactions: jclark343
1 - 10 of 10 Posts