Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
There may be a misunderstanding, but My ESA Doctor is very legitimate. I won't go into the reasons why as there are many, but they are good. In terms of price, $120 is for the "full package". The others are below $100. I was only using them as an example, and I almost always research fully before I reccomend anything.

·
Registered
Z, Rescue Mutt
309 Posts
There may be a misunderstanding, but My ESA Doctor is very legitimate. I won't go into the reasons why as there are many, but they are good. In terms of price, $120 is for the "full package". The others are below $100. I was only using them as an example, and I almost always research fully before I reccomend anything.
I think the point is that any place that will license an ESA dog online is not legal- in the US, it MUST be prescribed by a medical professional, not licensed by a website.

However, the info that states a landlord cannot evict a person based on the breed of their ESA is correct. Unfortunately, if the landlord is extremely prejudiced against the breed, he/she will likely find some other insignificant- or even nonexistent issue. The best plan is to speak with your landlord- and have a backup plan at the ready in case you need to terminate your lease or are evicted.

Reactions: LMMB

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
My ESA doctor provides a letter not a license/certification.
The point is that the letter must be provided by a licenses professional mental health provider who has assessed a person's mental health and has diagnosed the person with a mental illness or disorder that will be substantially helped by having their dog present in the home with them.

Since the people on that website doesn't even talk to people about their mental health, let alone talk to them long enough to give a diagnosis, and since a social worker is not licensed to make legal mental health diagnoses in any case, the website is not providing legal documentation for this purpose.

The expensive letter may be accepted by some landlords, but under scrutiny or in court it will not hold up to the law, in which case the money is wasted.

Best to get the letter legally from a local licensed mental health practitioner who can be contacted if necessary and can back up the letter with documentation of their diagnosis in case of there being a question or a problem, such as there is for the OP in this thread.

·
Registered
Z, Rescue Mutt
309 Posts
My ESA doctor provides a letter not a license/certification.
To add to Madra's post:
...and a letter will not allow the dog to have all the permissions of an ESA animal, like being exempt from breed-specific legislation, going places with their owner, and being safe from being evicted by a landlord. But anyway- the info there was good, the whole "give us money, we'll send you a letter" thing is off, though, since the medical professional has to actually meet with the person and prescribe the pet for the exemptions given to an ESA to apply- these exemptions only apply to certified dogs.

But, @Impetuous me , your ESA dog seems to be actually certified. So unless your landlord decides to find a loophole by finding a new reason to evict you, you should be safe. In most cases, a simple discussion will solve the issue, but if that doesn't work, you are the one in the right should this be brought to court. Even if the landlord tries to evict you for another reason, you could probably sue him and get a settlement of some kind, if that's your thing. I'm not real big on taking people to court, but I get that it's necessary sometimes.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
If you are paying for a letter online, you are being scammed.

There are loopholes where landlords can get out of allowing an ESA. It often has to do with number of units, but they can also demonstrate hardship to accommodating your request. For banned breeds, it usually involves an increase in property insurance for them; the landlord can claim the extra cost is a hardship for them and they can then deny the ESA.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.