Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an epileptic golden retreiver bailey who is 6 :)
he was diagnosed with epilepsy 4 years ago and has been on ephipehn 60mg twice a day from then. Fits are not routine. the first year it was every 3 weeks. then nothing for a whole year. then 1 every few months. until last weekend, he had 6 in 24 hours.
The vet gave me Pexion for him to take 400 mg twice a day along with the ephiphen.
To start with he was wobbly and restless which i know are effects of starting this.
Now he is restless, naughty, wont listen.
Does this last? or is hes till getting used to the tablets?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Depending on where the seizure activity is occurring in the brain, this can certainly affect Bailey's bahaviour.

The ephiphen doesn't appear to have any behavioural side effects on it's own, this is usually seen when taking potassium bromide in conjuction with ephiphen or potassium bromide alone. The literature also doesn't indicate any behavioural side effects from the Pexion, although, it appears to be fairly new on the market as an anti-seizure medication for dogs, so it's a distinct possibility.

I would give Bailey some time to adjust to his new medication regime (a week or 2) and if he continues to have naughty behaviour, it could very well be as a result of his seizure activity.

Hope that helps. Keep us updated to how Bailey is making out!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Pexion isn't an antiepileptic in and of itself, it's actually a benzo agonist, i.e., it makes benzos work better. (Benzos have a dose limit, basically a benzo agonist ups the dose without the risk of side effects or overdose.)

So it seems unlikely the Pexion itself is causing behavioral issues. The seizures almost certainly are. I have epilepsy. I don't have tonic-clonic seizures (roll around on the floor type), I have a type that leaves me awake and aware. That seems better than tonic-clonic, but it's terrifying, and when it's done, I'm just exhausted. I'm cranky, irritable and don't want to interact with anyone at all. And that's after 5 seconds of hallucinating, I imagine it's worse if you've been having a full body seizure.

So, imagine your dog, frightened, confused, tired, irritated, and sad. (I forgot the sad part. Sometimes I get really, really sad. Like your mom just died sad. For no reason at all.) Of course he's "naughty".

Give him time and give the medicine time to work and just be patient and keep in close contact with your vet. Hopefully, this new treatment works for him, poor thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

he is still on both epiphen and pexion, and he has had 2 fits in the last 2 months.
I dont realy feel he needs the pexion as well...

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Thanks guys,

he is still on both epiphen and pexion, and he has had 2 fits in the last 2 months.
I dont realy feel he needs the pexion as well...
Something to look at when the seizures increase. Make sure you look and all ingredients in food and treats your dog is getting. Coloring and dyes in food can cause secures. This is what you don't want in food or treats
titanium dioxide (color), yellow 5, yellow 6, red 40, BHA (used as a preservative), blue 1,

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
like @amaryllis i myself have epilepsy but the tonic clonics and non epileptics however my seizures are stable these days which is awesome. i would discuss the pexilon about coming off it with the vet before taking him off it as it could be helping him you just dont know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts