Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We are worried and I wonder if anyone has input into this...

My parents took their 12 years old shih tzu to the emergency vet clinic this morning because he had been showing signs of abdominal discomfort during the night (he was moaning and yelping in pain.)

Blood and urine samples were taken as well as some x-rays. We are awaiting the test results, but, apart from arthritis in the back and hips (which we already knew about) the x-ray showed a lot of gas in the intestinal tract as well as a very enlarged liver (about 3 to 4 times the normal size.)

Any insight into what could cause this? Thanks :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does she have any other symptoms? Loss of appetite, change in stool? Older dogs are prone to liver disease due to a weakened immune system. It's usually caused by a bacterial infection, but can be caused by other things like heartworms. It is treatable. It can also be signs of cancer or diabetes, though I'm sure you're pup will be just fine :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apart from abdominal pain, he has not exhibited other apparent symptoms. I'll go visit later today and give him a massage, hoping to alleviate the pain and help him pass some gas. I've heard we can give dogs gas-x. I'm going to check and if so, try that too.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
You'd be smart to get an abdominal ultrasound to make sure there isn't a tumor causing an enlarged liver.

I'd also remained concerned about the excessive gas in the intestines because, depending on the pattern, it could indicate an obstruction of some sort.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts